Rockstar was quick to warn
that the launch of GTA Online
was going to prone to some "teething problems". There has definitely been a lot of that, with eager players looking to hop online at launch only to get stuck on launching the online tutorial mission.
The most recent title update
seemed to fix this and a list of other occurrences, allowing gamers to wreak havoc in the online version of Los Santos. A pretty serious problem still lingered however, seeing the loss of character and save data meaning people had to start all over again, sometimes after dozens and dozens of hours playing.
Rockstar is now pushing through an update that should correct this for the most part, along with a host of other fixes focused on stabilizing and speeding up GTA Online
• Fixes multiple issues causing character deletion or other loss of progress
• Fixes issues causing infinite loading, infinite sky cams, and missing interface options between jobs
• Fixes an issue causing the "replay" option to be locked out on certain jobs
• Fixes an issue where a player would become stuck in the mod garage when respraying a Sanchez motor bike
• Fixes an issue where the Player became stuck inside Los Santos Customs during Online tutorial flow.
• Fixes an issue causing the loss of guns and ammo
• Fixes issues causing GTA races ending early because of players spawning too far ahead
• Fixes issues in Last Team Standing where sessions would not progress past the lobby
• Fixes issues with network errors when joining Last Team Standing using Quick Job
• Added clarifications around when a player is using a temporary character in GTA Online during Rockstar Cloud server outages
• Adjusts the monetary penalty for being killed in a One on One match
Rockstar did issue a warning saying that the while character loss issues are mostly fixed, there is one facet of it they are still trying to work out. Gameplay progress could still be lost if a cloud save failure occurs when saving a vehicle. A fix for this particular issue is being investigated more thoroughly and should be addressed in a future update.
Rockstar advises that you save your progress before leaving GTA Online
to prevent any more issues of character data loss. Also, if the update hasn't gone live for you yet, they caution that if an error message occurs stating the online servers are unavailable, that you should refrain from hitting "retry" or from creating a temporary character. Instead, you should exit to the Grand Theft Auto V
Story Mode and re-enter there.