When it comes to an immersive experience, nothing is better than having options. Some gamers may want every user interface graphic on screen at all times, while others want nothing.
Fortunately, the techno-wizards at Eidos Montreal feel that pain and will be giving gamers a variety of visual customization options in their upcoming stealth title, THIEF
First and foremost, let's check out display options.
In their most-recent blog post (and podcast)
, the developers went in depth and said that the following options would be toggle-able.
* Navigation prompts
* Interaction prompts
* Waypoint markers
* Threat icons
* Threat health meters
* Mini-map rotation
* Reticle feedback
* Journal updates
* Pick-up notifiers
* Light gem
* Object highlight
* Loot glint
* Lockpick helper
* Frame search helper
* Garrett narrated hints
* Health meter (on, off, or fade over time)
* Focus meter (on, off, or fade over time0
* Ammo counter (on, off, or fade over time)
They've also gone above and beyond by creating a few gif files that show how some of those options will look on the screen. You can view them here
Eidos has also revealed that there will be customizable difficulty settings beyond the standard, base difficulties of "easy", "normal", and "hard". Here are some of those options you can use to customize your difficulty and experience:
Classic Thief Mods
* Chapter Save Only: manual saves and checkpoint auto-saves are disabled.
* No Focus: the use of Focus is completely disabled and no Focus Points are earned.
* Stealth Takedowns Only: you cannot perform combat Takedowns and Takedowns from above.
* No Reticle: no aiming reticle is displayed when drawing the bow.
Legendary Thief Mods
* Specialty Arrows Only: only Blunt, Water, Fire and Rope Arrows are available.
* No Resources: food (health) and poppy flowers (Focus) are not consumable.
* It Hurts Not: if you take any damage, the mission is failed.
* Expensive Tools: the cost of arrows, tools, food and poppies is greatly increased.
* Slowed Movement: running and walking speeds are reduced.
Ultimate Thief Mods
* Iron Man: if you die or fail a mission, you lose your game and must restart from the beginning.
* No Upgrades: non-critical upgrades are disabled.
* No Kills or Knockouts: if a human or animal is killed or stunned, the mission is failed.
* No Alerts: if a human or animal detects you, the mission is failed.
For those who like pretty pictures (and don't we all?) here's another screenshot showing some of those options in a nice-looking menu.THIEF
is set to be released on the Xbox 360 and the Xbox One on February 25th in North America and February 28th in Europe.