While most games generally draw sighs of derision when a new patch is released, they are generally a welcome event for fighters. Once those games get released, it takes a lot of feedback to get the characters properly balanced so that the gaming experience is as enjoyable for all players as is reasonably possible.
A brand new patch has been released for Double Helix's Killer Instinct
that addresses many concerns and updates some features. First and foremost, the freely available character is no longer Jago, It's Sabrewulf. Also, the patch addresses save issues that occurred when the Kinect would log on another individual as well as issues related to party invites.
Perhaps most interestingly (and possibly frustratingly for the small number of you who have plowed through the game's achievement list already), there has been a pretty significant change to the achievement list. Instead of needing 2000 matches per character, you now need "only" 200. This change has already been reflected in the list on site.
The update is a very hefty 675 MB, but it covers many areas of the game. Check out the full list:
ROTATING FREE CHARACTER:
- Character rotation has been added. Sabrewulf is the new free character, replacing Jago.***GENERAL FIXES***
FULL CONTROLLER SUPPORT
- Players will now have access to play regardless of what USB port they plug into.
SAVE DATA FIXES
- Sign-in changes via KINECT will no longer erase save-data
TOASTS OPTION AVAILABLE
- Players will be able to disable toasts from the option menu (under display options)***KI STORE FIXES***
COLOR #5 PROPERLY UNLOCKS
* NOTE: Players who have accomplished these tasks prior to launch will now be awarded retroactively
TRAINING MODE ICON UNLOCKED
*NOTE: If you have completed all the tasks required to unlock the costume, the TRAINING ICON will retroactively be unlocked.***IN-GAME Updates***
- Character Select option added to the pause screen of local versus
- Command List corrected and updated
- Game will now pause when the controller for player 2 is removed
- Accessory menu screens updated and patched
- Added access to the MELD from the pause screen
- Replays library will be cleared since executable has been updated to a new version number
- Jago’s equipped accessories now display properly while in dojo mode.***ON-LINE UPDATES***
- Privilege check has been moved into the Xbox Live menu so non-gold members can view leaderboards
PARTY INVITES FIXES
- General fixes have been implemented to ensure the proper user-flow for people wanting to play exhibition matches with friends.
- RANK events (Rank-up/Rank-down), display notifications to both players prior to the start of the match.
RANK MATCH UPDATES
- The rank point distribution method has been updated. Please see the chart below for the updated system.***GAMEPLAY UPDATES***GLOBAL FIXES
INSTINCT MODE SHADOW COMBOS NOW BREAKABLE
- There were several instances where SHADOW MOVES we’re un-breakable after performing an instinct.-mode cancel With the current fix, SHADOW MOVES will be fully intractable after an instinct-mode cancel.
- Players can now adjust block height during instinct mode activation.
COMBO ENDER FIX
- There were several instances where certain moves labeled as “ENDERS” where unbreakable .CHARACTER SPECIFIC FIXES
- Jago’s Endokuken is now classified as an OPENER, when used in the beginning of combos.
- Shadow Eclipse now scales properly if used as an OPENER.
- LEVEL-3 eclipse ENDER has been corrected to hit the opponent after performing a JUMPING SLASH
- Category correction for the first (2) hits of ICHI NI SAN.
- Damage scaling correction on UPPER FIRECAT
- Shadow Hail will now have the same hit properties as an OPENER.
- HP /Shadow version of Widow’s bite is now categorized as OPENER.
As noted above, the patch is available now and is quite large, so leave some time to download it. For those of you who have been putting off the game due to the seemingly huge grind, does the change in match requirements make you more likely to play? Let us know in the comments!