Update: Just a quick reminder that applications are due next Friday, March 7th
, so you still have time to apply!
The Newshounds are looking to raise their numbers quite a bit with this next round of applications! While we are looking for newshounds to continue with our standard work, we are also looking for hounds who specialize in long-form content, such as reviews and editorials. As a result, the application is a bit long, but it's worth it if you make it through the process. We have a treehouse, remember?
Any applications can be sent to me, http://www.trueachievements.com/Matrarch.htm
, here on TA via PM
First, the general questionnaire.
1) What is your location and timezone?
2) How much time could you give per day and what times would you generally be available?
3) Why do you want to be a newshound? What contributions would you bring to the team?
4) Are there particular genres/gaming topics you favor? All newshounds are expected to cover everything, now including some PlayStation news, but what would be your comfort zone?
5) Is there anything that the team doesn't currently cover that you'd like to see? How could you help to cover this area?
6) Have you written news previously? If so, where? Please submit examples if this applies to you.
7) Have you been on TA site staff before? If so, please tell us a little bit about your experience.
8) Where would you go to find news? What sources would you consider?
9) What improvements / changes do you think we can make to our news coverage?
10) Please let us know anything else about you that makes you stand apart from the crowd! While we're looking for staff to manage news now, we expect all our staff to be able to handle our other responsibilities, so what special skills or knowledge do you bring to the table?
Finally, and perhaps most importantly (so it's bolded for you), please write a sample news story using the format we use here at TA. In addition, include how you went about finding the story and checking its authenticity. You can write anything, but the newer the news, the better. Don't feel you have to limit yourself to 360 news for the sample article.
If you're interested in writing Reviews and Features for TA (in addition to News) we'll be requiring a bit more from your application. In addition to the requirements for the Newshound submission, candidates who are interested in becoming Editorial/Feature Writers for TA should also submit the following:
1- A review of an Xbox 360/Xbox One/XBLA game in our current review style. The review must be fewer than 1500 words. This review can be previous work, but it must be in the TA style/formatting. For examples of the TA style, feel free to check out our recent review of The Walking Dead: Season Two
, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
, and/or BioShock Infinite
2- A sample feature: either an Opinion-Editorial, an Easter Egg, or a TA Top Five.
Opinion-Editorials can be about virtually anything, so long as they state an opinion and back it up. For recent examples check out The Year That Wasn't
and/or In Defense of 'Tacked On' Multiplayer
There are numerous examples of Easter Eggs on TrueAchievements (if you search the Editorials and Features thread for "Easter Eggs", you should see them). In general, we pick games that have fewer than 30k tracked gamers but have a great quality to them. Be sure to stick to the formatting structure.
Like Op-Eds, TA Top Fives can be a "Top Five" list of virtually anything. Previous examples can also be found in the Editorials and Features thread.
It should be noted that Editorial/Feature writers will still be required to pull some weight with news writing, but will be primarily focused on longer-form work. I'll be looking for strong writers with excellent spelling and grammar as well as writers who have a defined voice that lends itself to interesting reading.
Please have your application into us by no later than March 7th
We look forward to adding more talented, enthusiastic volunteers to our staff. Good luck to all applicants!