Chances are, many of you do not have any clue what "Iñupiaq" is or means. If you didn't, let us enlighten you: The Iñupiaq are an indigenous people to Alaska, with a deep and rich history and folklore that many of us do not know. Upper One Games, the first indigenous video game company in the US, has today revealed that they are currently developing Never Alone
for Xbox One, a game that aims not only to entertain us, but to educate us as well.Never Alone
stars Nuna, an Iñupiaq girl, and an arctic fox, as they attempt to save her people from an endless blizzard. The game aims to take traditional folklore, imagery, and themes and frame them in the context of an atmospheric puzzle platformer.
Gloria O’Neill, president and CEO of Upper One Games, had the following to say
We’re extremely proud and excited to be building a truly unique game. We’d like to think we’re creating one of the most authentic – and fun – games of the year. Video games are powerful tools for making the history, tradition and culture of indigenous peoples relevant to both the next generation of Native people and the rest of the world.
What else can you expect from Never Alone
? Here are some of the promised features:
• 1- and 2-player modes, both involving cooperative play (in single-player mode, the player can switch between the roles of Nuna and Fox at any time);Never Alone
• 8 sweeping chapters that take players across treacherous ice floes, Arctic tundra, ice caves, boreal forests, cliff-built coastal villages, and more;
• Game story, settings, characters and gameplay inspired by traditional Iñupiaq folklore, including the story of Kunuuksaayuka (Koo-nook-sah-yoo-ka) that has been handed down for generations among the Iñupiaq people;
• Encounters with traditional Alaska Native folklore characters such as Manslayer, Blizzard Man, Sky People, the Little People and the Rolling Heads;
• Exclusive unlockable insights into the Iñupiaq way of life, told by both Alaska Native elders and youth.
is slated for a Fall release and will cost $14.99. Go ahead and check out the game's official site
for more details.