Microsoft have announced that residents of the UK, France, Germany, Italy and Spain will soon be able to enjoy the full power of the Xbox One's Live TV and OneGuide features via the use of the upcoming "Xbox One Digital TV Tuner" peripheral. This primarily means that those without set-top or cable boxes (which interface with the Xbox One via HDMI cable) can now enjoy a wider range of benefits from the much touted all-in-one entertainment system via a simple coaxial cable hooked up to an antenna.
The full set of features of the tuner is as follows:
* Watch HD TV on Xbox One: With the Xbox One Digital TV Tuner, you can watch free-to-air DVB-T, DVB-T2 and DVB-C television channels without changing TV inputs. You can receive game invitations and notifications while watching TV and even watch TV while you wait for a multiplayer match to start.
* TV Viewing in Snap Mode: You can watch TV using the Snap mode, watching TV on the side and leaving the main screen for games, Skype, or other applications.
* Pause Live TV: Pause your favorite show when you get up to take a break.
* TV Listings in the OneGuide: TV listings will be available in the OneGuide. From anywhere, say “Xbox show guide, what’s on BBC One?” to quickly navigate directly to that channel’s listings*.
* Favorite Channels in the OneGuide: Create your own personal Favorites in the OneGuide so you can easily choose what you want to watch.
* Channel Tuning by Voice: The OneGuide allows you to call out your favorite TV channel by name and start watching it instantly*.
* The OneGuide on Xbox SmartGlass: Now you have access to the full OneGuide on the new Xbox SmartGlass app with the ability to tune channels on your TV.
*TV On Demand: TV listings in the OneGuide will indicate which shows are available on demand from video apps.
The Xbox One Digital TV Tuner is to be released towards the end of October in the UK for £24.99, and France, Italy, Germany and Spain for €29.99.