Microsoft is listening to your complaints about the long delay when first starting up your controller. Currently it takes about 5-6 seconds for your controller to actually register to the console. With this new update for Xbox Preview Program members, controllers should start up within about two seconds. There are also stability improvements.
For those unsure as to how you can update your controller, here's how you do it:
- Connect a controller to your Xbox One with a USB cable. Keep any headsets connected to the controller.
- Connect to Xbox Live.
- Press the Menu
- Go to Settings > Devices & accessories. Select the controller. If you have multiple controllers attached, you can select Buzz – which will cause the selected controller to vibrate.
- Then select Update to download the new firmware to the controller attached via the USB cable, and the screen will show the Updating controller … progress screen
- When you see the Controller updated screen, press ‘B’ to go back to the Devices & accessories main page
- Reselect the controller, the Firmware version, should now be: 1.2.2236.0This update is currently only available to Xbox Preview Program members -- it will soon be available for everyone though!