We’ve had a number of cross-platform titles on the site for a while, but with the recent Windows 10 announcements we’re expecting a lot more. So we’ve decided it’s a great to time to future proof our platform systems by making some changes.
Previously we based our “XBLA” classifications on the base gamerscore of a title. If it was under 500 gamerscore we classified it as an arcade title, and if it was above we viewed it as retail. While this simple rule worked pretty well in the past there were always a couple of edge cases (like Pocketbike Racer and Rock Band Track Pack 2) and more recently some XBLA titles have started releasing with 1000 GamerScore!
So we realised we needed a new approach. Rather than using our own rules to decide a titles classification we’ve decided to adhere to Microsoft’s own classifications a little more closely. If they say it's a game, it's a game, if they say it's an arcade game, it's an arcade game, if they say it's an App, it's an App, and so on.
As expected there has had to be some reclassification of existing titles, but hopefully you’re as amazed as us at how minimal this actually is:
Xbox Live Arcade to Full Xbox 360 Game
- AC/DC Live: Rock Band Track Pack
- Big Bumpin
- Pocketbike Racer
- Rock Band Classic Rock Track Pack
- Rock Band Country Track Pack
- Rock Band Country Track Pack 2
- Rock Band Metal Track Pack
- Rock Band Track Pack 2
- World of Tanks: Xbox 360 Edition
Xbox Live Arcade to Xbox 360 Application
- Kinect PlayFit
- Voice Studio
Xbox One Game to Xbox One Application
Xbox 360 Game to Xbox Live Arcade
- Battle Academy
- Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
- Costume Quest 2 (Xbox 360)
- Geometry Wars³: Dimensions (Xbox 360)
- Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition (Xbox 360)
- MONOPOLY Deal (Xbox 360)
- MONOPOLY Plus (Xbox 360)
- Resident Evil Revelations 2 (Xbox 360)
- The Legend of Korra (Xbox 360)
- Toybox Turbos
- TRIVIAL PURSUIT LIVE! (Xbox 360)
No longer Xbox Live Arcade
- All Games For Windows Live Games
- All Windows 8 games
- All Windows Phone gamesAlong with these core changes we’ve also updated the platform filters on most of the relevant pages. You can now select any number or combination of platforms to see just the games you want!
Overall we’re all pretty excited about this change and think it’s going to be better for the site in the long run.
Site Leaderboard changes
Making these changes has impacted on the Site Leaderboards.
We have taken this opportunity to completely rewrite the way these work, and also done the following:
• Created new leaderboard types that replace the old Retail and Arcade leaderboards (“Under 500 GamerScore” and “Over 500 GamerScore”)
• Created a combination leaderboard for 'Xbox 360 and Xbox Live Arcade' together that recreate the old Xbox 360 leaderboards
• Removed unregistered gamers from the leaderboards completely
• Automatically moved all your tracking bots and site leaderboard history over to the new system
We hope you'll notice they now load considerably faster!
This is a pretty big change across the site and while we’ve tested what we can, we’re pretty sure that some bugs have probably slipped through. If you do notice anything out of ordinary please make a thread over in the Bug Reports Forum.
Get the biggest Xbox news delivered straight to your inbox every week.