Back in July last year, the ID@Xbox platform took a trip to E3
. One of the many titles revealed during the visit was Albedo: Eyes from Outer Space
, which is being developed by Z4G0 and published by Merge Games. New details, screens, artwork, and a release date has been released for the upcoming point & click adventure.Albedo
is a first-person adventure that's "out of this world" and is packed with inspirations from 60's pulp sci-fi movies. Players will take on the role of John T. Longy who is a night-watchman at a partially abandoned secret research facility. The story begins with John earning another dollar for another night when, all of a sudden, an explosion knocks him unconscious. John wakes up in the complex's basement to find a massive hole in the ceiling. This is where the player must attempt to escape the wreckage and find out what exactly is going on. Invaders have infiltrated the base for unknown reasons and John isn't sure if it could just be a biological experiment gone wrong. The truth will be discovered as John fights for his life while trying to solve the mystery.
Although classed as a point & click adventure, the title will offer a mix of game genres. The theme of the title will be that of a sci-fi adventure but there will be plenty of "mind-bending" puzzles to conquer in order to make progress through the base. While discovering an "intergalactic war that threatens the very existence of our world" as you make your way through the base, players will also be required to be skilled in the first-person shooter genre to survive as mutated alien life-forms look to put an end to John's adventure. John will be able to use the "advanced extra-terrestrial" technology to bend time, but will it be enough to save the earth?
ZG40 provides a brief history on how the idea to make such a game came about:
Albedo: Eyes From Outer Space has been a labour of love for Fabrizio Zagaglia (aka Z4G0). In the 90s, Italian born Z4G0 was kidnapped by a visiting alien race and disappeared for five minutes of human-time. After that, he began to develop videogames on as hobby. Z4G0 was prolific, creating tons of different games; from sports to shoot'em-ups. Z4G0 claims he received a telepathic message from the outer space and began to Albedo: Eyes from Outer Space. Thanks to his alien skills, Z4G0 developed the game as one-man-team, in less than a couple of years! Z4G0 likes rock'n’roll, pasta and beer. He’s not so keen on edible vegetable-like creatures but acknowledges their existence.
Here's the key features that are included with the game, with brief information on the genre mixup, gameplay time, and more:
• A 60’s sci-fi, b-movie inspired narrative, with plenty of mystery and suspense!
• Stunning 3D environments and detailed objects to manipulate.
• Realistic and atmospheric sound effects will envelop you in your surroundings.
• Adventure-style gameplay featuring puzzle elements and incorporating first-person shoot’em-up action.
• Twenty detailed rooms to explore; each full of mystery, strange visions and intricate puzzles to solve.
• An advanced physics engine making object interaction extremely immersive. Pick up and use objects as you would expect to in reality.
• Over 100 items to interact with.
• Unique hint system using a device to “see into the future” to help solve complex problems.
• Multiple challenging mini-games and puzzles.
• Unearth hidden areas, discover Easter eggs and unlock achievements.
• Over 8 hours of challenging gameplay!
The new screens give us a great sample of the first-person shooting, enemies, exploration, and puzzle solving to come. Take a look and see what you think of the creepy and cold looking environments:
Finally, a few pieces of artwork have also been released showcasing the creativity behind the title:Albedo: Eyes From Outer Space
is set for release on the Xbox One on January 20th with a price tag of $14.99 / €14.99 / £11.99.