It's been a long time coming. Fans of the original cult classic System Shock
have been clamoring for a remake or sequel ever since. Today, a Kickstarter was finally launched
for the game: System Shock Remastered Edition
. Normally we don't cover Kickstarters, but if history says anything this one looks to have a very good chance at success, so we thought we'd bring it to your attention now in case you're interested in supporting it.
If you've never heard of System Shock
, you may want to take a look at the game's trailer:
The new game is a faithful remake of the original game. While there may be a few changes here and there to help modernize it, fans of the original will no doubt feel at home aboard Citadel Station. If you're new to it, you're about to experience an adventure where you're trapped aboard that station and hunted by a ruthless AI named SHODAN and its army of mutants and cyborgs.
If you're interested in the game and have a decent PC, you can try out a pre-alpha demo now to get a taste of what's to come. It's available on Steam
, and the Humble Store
The Kickstarter does have a few screens attached. Please note that I upscaled them manually - they should not be taken as representative of what the game will look like at 1080p (they're far fuzzier than they should be):
The game has a host of new features as well:
- A modern take on System Shock, a faithful reboot; it’s not Citadel Station as it was, but as you remember it. Many improvements, overhauls and changes are being implemented to capture the spirit of what the original game was trying to convey, and bring it to contemporary gamers.
- Re-imagined enemies, weapons, and locations by original concept artist Robb Waters.
- Terri Brosius reprises her role as SHODAN, and new VO will be recorded.
- Brand new musical score composed by Jonathan Peros.
- The user interface, game mechanics, enemies, and puzzles will be updated to reflect modern aesthetics and sensibilities, while maintaining the feel of the original.
No release date is currently set for System Shock