With Hangar 13's upcoming sandbox, Mafia III
, comes the massive responsibility of making sure the soundtrack is spot on and goes well with the feel and atmosphere of the game. Hangar 13, along with publisher 2K, has revealed the complete soundtrack for the title that includes more than 100 1960's tracks.
Christoph Hartmann, president of 2K, is confident that the music will help players connect to the in-game world:
Mafia III will treat players to an incredible soundtrack of more than 100 licensed songs from an iconic era in music. I’m confident that the rich canvas of nostalgic artists and songs that defined the 1960s will further connect players to the immersive open world of 1968 New Bordeaux.
Here's a short list of just a few of the songs that will be included in the game to go nicely with the fashion, cars, and overall setting for the 1968 New Bordeaux:
- The Rolling Stones: “Paint it, Black,” “Sympathy for the Devil” and more;
- Creedence Clearwater Revival: “Bad Moon Rising,” “Fortunate Son” and more;
- Sam and Dave: “Soul Man” and “Hold on, I’m Comin’”;
- Steppenwolf: “Born To Be Wild” and ”Desperation”;
- Aretha Franklin: “Respect” and ”Chain of Fools”;
- Jefferson Airplane: “Somebody To Love” and “White Rabbit”;
- Sam Cooke: “Wonderful World,” “Bring it on Home to Me” and more;
- The Temptations: “Ain’t Too Proud to Beg” and ”I Wish It Would Rain”;
- Cream: “White Room”;
- Johnny Cash: “Ring Of Fire” and “Folsom Prison Blues (Live)”;
- The Beach Boys: “Help Me, Rhonda” and “Wouldn’t it be Nice”.
The full list can be found right here
As if over 100 songs weren't already enough, the team behind the game also reached out to "two of the gaming industry's greatest composers", Jesse Harlin and Jim Bonney. The tag team put together an original score that will be used during gunfights, cut scenes, and other in-game moments. The Mafia III Original Game Score
will include 26 songs from the game, and for those into in-game music, you can grab yourself a digital copy from participating online retailers "soon".
Providing another insider look at the development of the game, the ninth episode of "Inside Look" has been released. Members of the Hangar 13 writing team talk about the relationship between the game's protagonist Lincoln Clay and Thomas Burke, who's the leader of the city's Irish Mob. Thomas has teamed up with Lincoln to take on the Marcano family. Take a look at the video for more details:
The Collector's Edition of Mafia III
is available to pre-order now and includes the detailed soundtrack plus more
. The game remains set to release on the Xbox One on October 7th.