2015's The Escapists
sold over 1.8 million copies, developer Mouldy Toof revealed. The popular game also spawned plenty of DLC and earned itself a licensed tie-in with a smash-hit zombie apocalypse comic and television series — The Escapists: The Walking Dead
. But what's next for the series? The Escapists 2
, of course.
The first Escapists had no shortage of additional content like "Santa's Sweatshop"
The next installment in the prison-escape series will contain the same features players grew to love, plus additional ones, including online (yes, online!) and splitscreen multiplayer, a much-requested feature:
- Multiplayer – In a first for the series, The Escapists 2 offers drop-in/drop-out play offering both split screen and online play for up to four players in both co-op and versus modes
- New ways to escape - Tie together knotted sheets and use them to climb down high windows in our new multi-level prisons and other new ways to make a break for freedom!
- New items to craft – Build yourself a homemade taser to knock out guards plus many more!
- New combat system – A completely revamped combat system featuring new lock-on targeting and blocking systems plus light and heavy attacks
- New graphical style – A brand new look immerses players in a deeper, richer world while maintaining that unique The Escapists style
- More character customisation – New customisation options let players tweak their avatar to a whole new level. Play as a girl! Go bald! Sport a mullet! The choice is yours
- More things to do – Join a band! Learn to paint! The Escapists 2 will offer more ways than ever to pass the time whilst incarcerated
The developers have shared a short glimpse of the new game in the trailer below:
The Escapists 2
is scheduled for launch in 2017 on Xbox One. Unlike its predecessor, it will not be receiving a last-gen release on Xbox 360.