Developer Tikipod has announced Iron Crypticle
, an arcade twin-stick dungeon shooter with RPG elements that looks to offer a unique twist on the usual style of gameplay that comes from the sub-genre. As a washed-up knight and member of the kingsguard, you must find and return the king's royal golden treasures, as well as Cryptonia's princess, that have been stolen by a "mysterious and malevolent force". The inspiration behind the title comes from the likes of Smash TV
, Bubble Bobble
, Rainbow Islands
, Ghost and Goblins
, and Gauntlet
, with various elements taken from each old-school title to help shape the upcoming game.
Take on the adventure by yourself or with up to three other players in four player local co-op and wipe out ghouls and fiends that stand in your way. As you make your way into the ancient palace crypts, you'll be able to upgrade your abilities, pick up helpful items from the cat merchant, chow down on grub, grab treasure to increase your XP, and also unlock more weapons and magical items to aid you on your quest.
Here are the four knights from which you will be able to choose:
Many Guardian Monsters will be ready to take you on through each floor in the crypt. In order to take them down and proceed, you'll need to upgrade specific abilities such as speed, damage, fire rate and weapon duration, which can all be upgraded from shops or via careful chaining of food pickups. Most of the enemies will drop food items such as cheese, cakes, lollipops, hotdogs, fruit, and more. You'll need to "juggle chain-collecting" to be able to take advantage of the possibility to upgrade.
The floors won't be as simple as starting from one point and heading in one direction to another side. Route selection will play a major part in progressing as each floor is put together with a branching system of rooms. Each room will have its ups and downs that can either benefit or ruin you and your team. To add to what could be a difficult route, each time you play through a floor, the rooms will change shapes and reform.
An assortment of weapons, magical scrolls and items will be available to unlock to help you on your way, but you'll also be able to make use of a dash move for evasive manoeuvres and even an Atomic Fist to do great damage to a single enemy or a group.
Take a look at the summary of the game's main features:
- Battle the crypt monsters and large bosses by yourself, or up to 4 player local Co-Op.
- Carefully select your own route - through the mysterious, ever changing palace crypts.
- Unlock and fight with a myriad of weapons, magic scrolls and items.
- Gobble tasty foods and grab shiny treasures to increase your XP.
- Upgrade your abilities if you want to survive the lower crypt floors.
- Chaining collecting items or go shopping to upgrade SPEED, DAMAGE, FIRE RATE and WEAPON DURATION.
- Collect coins, then shop for new items in the cat merchant shops.
- Seek out arcade rooms, and play `Castle Crushers` to win prizes.
- Dash through enemies to both evade and harm them.
- Collect charges for your Atomic Fist, able to clear away small areas of enemies.
- Uncover more of the crypts secrets on each playthrough!
Meet the cat merchant in the rest of the new screens as well as various areas of the game where the knights are doing battle in what looks to be some very colourful and chaotic action:
You can certainly see the inspiration from the mentioned games in the new trailer that showcases cutscenes and plenty of gameplay:
Check out iron Cyrpticle
for yourself when the game comes to the Xbox One in a few days on July 12th.