After celebrating its 45th anniversary just a few months ago, arcade king Atari has announced a reboot of one of its most classic games: Tempest
. At the helm is Jeff Minter, known for producing 1994's Tempest 2000
and 2000's Tempest 3000
, sequels to the 1981 shooter. Naturally the next evolution is Tempest 4000
, which is what the reboot will be called.
The original Tempest
was one of the first video games to use 3D vector graphics, but more than 35 years later we can expect a bit more out of the game. The reboot will still see players taking control of The Claw, a spaceship destroying targets in geometric shapes. Minter promises 4k resolution, different game modes and more from Tempest 4000
, but with the same old-school feel:
- Arcade Style Shooter: Blast down hordes of enemies in this fast-paced arcade style shoot ‘em up.
- Unparalleled Graphics: Experience Tempest 4000’s mind-blowing graphics in beautiful 4K resolution.
- Multiple Game Modes: Pick from three different game modes including Standard, Pure and Endurance that will push your skills to the limit.
- Level Up: Progress and clear through 100 unique geometric levels by destroying enemies with various weapons and power-ups, and earn upgrades through bonus rounds.
- Climb to the Top of the Leaderboards: Post your high score in your quest to be recognized as number one on the leaderboards.
- Retro Techno Soundtrack: Enjoy the beats of a thumping soundtrack inspired by early 1990’s techno.
- Old School Gameplay: Feeling nostalgic? Relive the traditional gameplay of the original Tempest with enhanced graphics on current generation consoles.
Specific platforms have yet to be announced, but Tempest 4000
will be coming soon to major consoles and PC.