I would imagine many of you missed Inversion's announcement back in October 2009. Things went very quiet as it appeared more and more apparent that the game was going to miss its intended 2010 release date. Now, Namco Bandai has confirmed that the game is still in development and is due to be released in 2012.
Set in the near future, the tranquil peace enjoyed by mankind shatters with an unforeseen invasion by an unknown enemy called the Lutadore. Armed to the teeth with futuristic gravity-controlling weapons, the Lutadore easily overrun the city’s defenses. Unbeknownst to all, mysterious anomalies have surfaced in conjunction with the invasion. Random regions in the city have entered zero gravity or have suffered vector changes, throwing the world into topsy-turvy chaos. Assuming the role of Davis Russel, a hotheaded 28-year-old cop, or Leo Delgado, Davis’ neighbor, players will embark on a journey through the war ravaged gravity twisted disorienting streets of their home town and beyond, to find Davis' missing child.This is the setting for the third-person co-op shooter. The game is being developed by the same studio responsible for TimeShift. However, instead of manipulating time, in this game players will be manipulating gravity using the Grappler weapon. Objects can be manoeuvred to create cover, or used as projectiles in a similar style to Valve's Half Life, although enemies that are hiding in cover can also be moved into a better position. This can lead to environments being completely destroyed. Here are some gameplay details for you:
Multiplayer Options:Here are the teaser trailer and a few screenshots for you, too:
• Play through the compelling story on your own or play with others in either co-op or competitive modes.
Breakthrough Gravity-Defying Gameplay:
• Learn to maneuver and shoot in an ever-changing state of global gravity, including weightless gameplay in zero gravity.
• Control gravitational forces using your Gravlink device to either increase or decrease the amount of gravity on a given target.
• Command gravity to crush objects in your way, float enemies into range or even pick up cars to use them as mobile cover.
Innovative Cover System:
• With bullets flying, seek cover objects in the environment or manipulate objects to create cover for yourself.
Pervasive Environmental Destruction:
• INVERSION have been specifically designed to allow for maximum destructibility using the “Havok Destruction” module.
• Blast through the environments, target your enemies’ cover blasting it to bits or even knock down overhead objects to crush the enemy below.
Once you've finished twisting and turning in your seat whilst trying to work out which way is up, you'll be glad to know that Inversion is now due to be released on February 7th, 2012.