Microsoft has announced they will be bringing Rise of Nations
, one of the studio's best-known RTS titles, to the Windows store. The release will be in the form of Rise of Nations: Extended Edition
. It will feature cross-play with Steam, where the extended edition of Rise
already released in 2014. According to Microsoft, more than two million players already own the Steam version, so Windows Store owners won't struggle to find a multiplayer match.
A true complete edition, it includes the "Thrones and Patriots" expansion along with updated graphics and more. The full features are as follows:
- Lead one of 24 nations, each with its own distinctive attributes and special units.
- Learn to play with six tutorials for beginning to experienced strategy gamers.
- Take command over a hundred military units operating on the ground, sea, and air— from Hoplites to Frigates to Helicopters.
- Research more than 50 technologies over eight historical epochs.
- Build wonders of the world, including the Terra Cotta Army, the Taj Mahal, the Eiffel Tower. Each wonder gives your nation special bonuses.
- Play a variety of the critically acclaimed Single-Player Conquer the World campaigns including, Alexander the Great, The New World, Napoleon and The Cold War.
- Experience more than a dozen map types in single and multiplayer scenarios, ranging from the Amazon Rainforest to the Himalayas to the Nile Delta.
- Xbox Live Integration
- Multiplayer with ranked matches (ELO)
- Cloud saves
Even better, the RTS will be offered at 75% off upon launch, bringing it down to US$4.99 instead of the regular price of US$19.99. It's a smart decision, as many players will have already grabbed it at a similar price during a Steam sale. A low price could encourage them to pick up the title again through the Windows Store to enjoy the Xbox Live integration and Xbox achievements.
Microsoft seems interested in returning their classic series to the Windows Store, with Age of Empires: Definitive Edition
already on the way and now the announcement of Rise of Nations
. Perhaps Age of Mythology
will be next?Rise of Nations: Extended Edition
launches on September 14th. The 75% off price will be offered for a limited time, though an exact end date wasn't specified.