With the super-exciting launch of the Xbox One X, for which you can check out the TrueAchievements review right here
, as expected, there's some (probably) super-sized patches to be downloaded for various games too. Five titles have received Day One patches to take advantage of the sheer power the new Xbox One X has to offer. The patched games are as follows:
Homefront: The Revolution
Currently part of this week's Deals With Gold
sale, Homefront: The Revolution
has received a small list of changes in its patch:
- The game is rendered in 3200 x 1800 which is a four times increase over the standard Xbox One version. This resolution will provide superior image quality on 4k TVs and a crisper, super-sampled image on 1080p TVs.
- All HUD and UI elements are rendered in native 4K for the highest quality image.
- The Time Splitters 2 arcade machine content is now rendered in native 4K.
- The game takes advantage of Xbox One X’s increased memory which will support more high quality textures on screen at any given time.
- Frame rate performance is further improved.
- HDR support has been added to both the Xbox One X and Xbox One S hardware.
There's also a free trial currently available for those interested and it includes the entire first "Red Zone", which clocks in at around four hours worth of single player action. Players can also enjoy unlimited access in Resistance Mode, the game's online co-op mode.
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics went into more detail on their Day One patch for Rise of the Tomb Raider
, with Scot Amos, Head of Studio at Crystal Dynamics, speaking on the team's dedication to offer nothing but the best:
We’re always pushing ourselves to deliver the highest fidelity experience in our games and we love taking those next steps with any new technology. This launch coincides perfectly with our commitment to always offer the best we have as a reward for our dedicated and passionate fans. Providing these awesome new enhancements as a free upgrade enables Xbox players to maximize their Tomb Raiding experience.
The teams worked together with long-time partners Nixxes Software to offer the "highest fidelity graphics ever" in a Tomb Raider
title. Ron Rosenberg, Head of Studio at Crystal Dynamics, is pleased with the magic Nixxes has worked:
Partnering with Nixxes Software has allowed us to deliver an incredible level of fidelity and immersion. They have proven once again that they are masters at getting every ounce of power out of a new platform.
Check out the patch details below:
Xbox One X players can choose from one of three visual modes:
- Native 4K: (full 3840 by 2160) for the highest fidelity resolution
- Enriched Visuals for stunning graphic upgrades
- High Frame Rate for the smoothest possible gameplay
New Xbox One X tech enhancements for Rise of the Tomb Raider include:
- HDR display support for more vibrant and accurate color representation
- Spatial audio support, including Dolby Atmos®, for true 3D audio
- Enhanced texture resolution for Lara Croft®, NPCs, and environments for even more immersive and realistic details
Additional visual enhancements include:
- Improved volumetric lights
- Improved reflections
- Enhanced foliage
- Upgraded polygonal detail
- Improved anti-aliasing
- Amplified texture filtering
Take a look at these four screens to see how Lara is looking with her Xbox One X enhancements:
Middle-earth: Shadow of War
Monolith Productions' Xbox Play Anywhere
title also got in on the Day One fun with their patch. The team offers a couple of different enhancement options to make their open-world adventure even more prettier:
The first option focuses on resolution with increased texture detail, targeting native 4K. The second option focuses on overall quality with increased draw distances, improved shadow and lighting conditions, increased vegetation, improved ambient occlusion, higher polygon counts and texture filtering improvements, all optimised for Xbox One X.
ARK: Survival Evolved
As if Studio Wildcard's mysterious world full of dinosaurs, dangerous wildlife, prehistoric beasts, ever-changing weather, snowy mountains, and green jungles wasn't pretty enough, the visuals just got that bit better. With better framerates, enhanced visual effects, the option for 1440p high resolution, and more, it's no wonder Jeremy Stieglitz, the co-founder of Studio Wildcard, was all hyped for the release of the Xbox One X:
Ever since the original announcement of the Xbox One X, we've been excited to see how far Microsoft would push the hardware specs, and how far that would let us push ARK. When gamers get their hands on this powerful new console, and of course, on the new build of ARK, we expect they'll be just as impressed as we are with how much more visually immersive the world of ARK becomes.
Here's the specifics on how the game will be enhanced on the Xbox One X:
- The "Eyes" Have It: Enjoy “Detail Mode” with buttery smooth 30 FPS gameplay at 1440p or 60 FPS at 1080p in “Medium Quality”
- See Farther, and With More Detail: In 1440p "Detail Mode", long-range shadows, high quality textures and extended draw distances enhance visual fidelity, while the "TrueSky" system renders volumetric clouds, realistic atmospheric fog & sunlight scattering, and dynamic weather systems.
- Split Screen and Split Up: In local splitscreen multiplayer mode, players can now split up to independently explore the islands.
- More Power Means More Players: With increased hardware performance, Xbox One X servers can now host 70 players in a game.
- Get There Faster: Improved loading and streaming times get you where you want to go on the ARK faster than before!
The team has even put together a comparison video to showcase how ARK: Survival Evolved
compares on the Xbox One and the Xbox One X:
Mantis Burn Racing
Last but not least, VooFoo Studios' Mantis Burn Racing
will now come with native 4K resolution, High Dynamic Range and anti-aliasing for those rocking the new console. With crisp, crystal-clear image quality and improvements to colour, race until your heart's content at a sweet 60FPS. Mark Williams, technology director at VooFoo Studios, has delivered the goods:
With Xbox One X we’ve been able to deliver true native 4K resolution and anti-aliasing which takes the crispness and clarity of detail in the game to another level – this is the most immersive version of the game to date.
A set of screens was also released showcasing how the title looks in 4K compared to 1080p:
All of the above patches are ready to be downloaded, for free, right now.