Path of Exile
released in August to the adoration of many. Featuring deep hack-n-slash gameplay inspired by genre favorite Diablo 2
, tons of content and all for free, it was everything fans hoped it would be. As part of the gameplay, Path of Exile
separates its games into seasons. At the start of a new season, a new patch is released with all kinds of updates and everyone is encouraged to start a new character in the new league (though, of course, you do not have to). The first league is coming to an end at the end of this month, which means a new patch is on the horizon: War for the Atlas.
It's got everything you need. Here's a rundown of everything announced so far:
- A New Atlas:An ancient entity known as The Elder has challenged the Shaper's control of the Atlas of Worlds. Explore maps ravaged by their conflict.
- The Elder Guardians: As The Elder grows more powerful, he will consume The Shaper's creations to manifest his own Guardians. The stronger the consumed boss, the stronger The Elder is when you face him.
- 32 New Maps: The Atlas has been redrawn. Find your way to the centre through new paths and discover new challenges along the way. War for the Atlas adds 32 maps to Path of Exile's ever-evolving end-game.
- Shaped and Elder Items: As you fight in maps the Shaper or Elder control, you may find rare Shaped and Elder items which can be crafted to have powerful properties that don't normally occur. These properties include the mod "Supported by Level 20 [Support Skill]".
- 10 New Skill Gems: This expansion introduces ten new Gems including four new Skill Gems and six new Supports. The new skills have a focus on necromancy, while the support gems are designed to augment as many skills as possible in new and interesting ways.
- Over 50 New Uniques: Path of Exile: War for the Atlas contains over fifty new Unique Items, many of which have been designed by our community. This includes the Hungering Loop, a socketed ring that can absorb level 20 support gems and apply those effects to a socketed active skill.
- The Abyss League: Path of Exile: War for the Atlas launches on December 8 (Pacific Time) on PC and shortly after on Xbox One. Alongside the expansion, we're also introducing the Abyss Challenge League. Fight foes that spill forth from the underworld beneath your feet as you journey across Wraeclast. Claim valuable new Abyss Jewels to customise your characters and items in new ways. We'll post detailed information about how the Abyss Challenge League works next week.
If you're interested in hopping into the Abyss league with a new character, it all starts mid-December. You'll be able to take advantage of all the new treats either way, though.
We've got the full list of Path of Exile achievements
- check the list for guides to unlocking them.Check out our The Best Xbox RPGs Available in 2017 article for a compilation of other great games in this genre.