Here's a little history lesson for you. Hands up those of you who remember the original Boulder Dash
that was released on the Atari 400/800, Apple II, MSX, ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64, and ColecoVision. The game was later ported onto many other platforms, such as the NES, BBC Micro and Acorn Electron, PC, Amstrad CPC, and Amiga. Players took on the role of Rockford, who had to dig his way through the soft soil in each cave to reach the exit before the time limit ran out, all whilst collecting gems and diamonds, and avoiding falling rocks, avalanches, explosions and harmful creatures.
I certainly don't remember the original game; it was released in 1984, the year that I was born. However, I have vague recollections of playing a version of this game on our Acorn computer. For those of you with fond memories of this game, Kalypso Media are remastering this classic for release on XBLA. The core gameplay in Boulder Dash XL
will remain unchanged, but the game will now feature HD graphics.
Features of Boulder Dash®-XL include:
• An updated HD look and feel, featuring 720p graphics
• 4 new game modes (“Arcade”, plus all new “Puzzle”, “Zen” and “Time Challenge”)
• A Retro Mode offering 25 “retro” Caves for a total of five game modes in all
• New scoring mechanism adding new excitement and challenges for High Score hunters
• Four beautiful and varied game worlds
• Over 150 all-new Caves to explore while battling monsters and grabbing gems
• Online Ranking Lists/ Leaderboards
The players who will be topping the leaderboards will be the ones who can chain together Diamond-Collection-Combos and Score Multipliers. However, the fireflies, amoebas and butterflies will all be returning with the aim of stopping this from happening.
A price is yet to be confirmed, but the game is due to be released in Q1 2011.