Since hitting its Kickstarter funding target two years ago, news on the console release of the "six-degree-of-freedom tunnel shooter" Overload has been almost non-existent. While this would usually instil a sense of panic that the game would never see the light of day, this isn't the case here. Revival Productions has taken to their blog to explain that the Xbox One version of the title is still very much alive, but it has been delayed by a couple of months. Bearing in mind the original release window was March 2017, that's quite an understatement.
Combining modern technology with gameplay found in classic six-degree-of-freedom shooters, like their previous title Descent, the title offers an "intense" experience. The game's features include:
The title is due to be released on Steam on May 31st, 2018. Unfortunately the Xbox One version of the game won't be hitting that target. The game's small development team has found a launch on three platforms to be quite challenging, and they still have some issues that need to be solved for the console version. This includes the multiplayer support, which the team wishes to test and finalise in more detail and they don't want to rush this process. In the meantime, we can at least view the game's trailer announcing the Steam release date so you can get an idea of what to expect.
- 15 level single-player campaign plus secret levels
- Numerous level challenges including lava, forcefields, lockdowns, ambushes and secret rooms
- 20 terrifying robot enemies, plus Super-Robots and Variants and three bosses
- Multiplayer with public and private matches
- Challenge mode (with two variants) and 12 Challenge Mode levels Story by the writer of FreeSpace 2 with fully-voiced audio (English Only)
- Adrenaline-pumping soundtrack
- Optional training level for refining your piloting skills
- Achievements and Leaderboards
- Upgrades and XP system and advanced player stats
- Automap and Holo-guide for navigation assistance
- Save anywhere
- Six difficulty levels ranging from a casual challenge to very punishing
- Support for mouse, keyboard, gamepad and/or joystick controls
- Surround sound audio options
Assuming there are no more delays, the console versions of the title will be released in Q3 2018.
We've got the full list of Overload achievements - check the list for guides to unlocking them.
Get the biggest Xbox news delivered straight to your inbox every week.