was one of the most successful XBLA games released last year, being purchased over 500,000 times in total. Thanks to its success, developer Signal Studios have today announced a sequel to the hit, entitled Toy Soldiers: Cold War
As the title suggests, the sequel won't use the same WWI soldiers and weaponry, but instead using '80s era action toys and Cold War arsenal in a homage to '80s action toys and movies. You play as either the US or USSR armies
commando action figures, utilising base turrets, "modern" combat vehicles, attack helicopters and fighter jets in your warfare.
Check the '80s-tastic trailer below for a glimpse of what to expect:
Quoted below is the list of features and improvements for the sequel, detailed by Signal Studios in their press release:
• Fight the good fight! The Wall did not come down! Control the entire might of the Stars and Stripes to stop the invading forces of the Evil Empire! On land or in the air – drive, fly, and battle your way to victory!
• Highlights: Command the USA and USSR armies with brand new modern weapons and vehicles. Multiple Attack Barrages, Co-op or Single Player Campaign, improved Multiplayer Action, Co-op Survival Modes including Classic, Lockdown, and Hardcore, and fast-paced competitive Mini-Games!
• New Co-op Mode: Join forces with your friends and play on the couch or over Xbox LIVE in Campaign or Survival modes.
• Modern Drivable Units: Hulking battle tanks, fierce attack helicopters, explosive fighter jets, ATVs and more!
• Attack Barrages: Expanded barrage rewards, including First Person Special Forces soldiers, AC-130 gun ships, B-52 bombers, Artillery strikes and Nuke missiles.
• Intensely Addictive Mini-Games! Take a break from the main battle and compete with friends online to rack up the high score in playful mini-games. Hidden challenges in each level encourage replayability and reward player skill.
• New Secondary Turret Features: Grenade launchers, cluster bombs, scopes, missile locks, tactical vision, Overcharge Mode and more!
• Additional Unit Trees: Take down the enemy with WD-40 flame throwers, fireworks, and bug spray!
• Improved: Replayability is improved with Checkpoint Rewind; new and sophisticated driving physics; revamped dynamic destructible environments; new enemy wave behaviors and AI.
Announced just in time ahead of this weekend, the game will be playable at PAX East in the Xbox Live Booth, number 850. No release date/window has been announced for the game, but as it'll be playable at PAX, that hopefully means it'll hit XBLA sometime later this year.