Yesterday, version 1.0.7 was released for Sea of Thieves
. The patch aimed to introduce the much requested Open and Closed Crews feature, as well as introducing more gameplay features and fixing bugs. Unfortunately, the Open and Closed Crews brought along a bug all of its own, meaning that the feature has been temporarily disabled while Rare investigates the issue.
Before the feature was temporarily removed, Open and Closed Crews offered two crew options for players. Open Crews behaved in exactly the same way as crews did prior to the update. Galleons match four players together while replacing those who left mid-game. Sloops match two players together while aiming to replace missing players as soon as possible. Closed Crews offered a new option. Single players can choose to begin on a Galleon or a Sloop and be joined by their friends when they become available. This option allows players to prevent non-friends from joining their crew, and also allows smaller crews to man the ships. Closed Crews will replace the 3 player Galleon and Solo Sloop options.
As well as the Crews options, the update initially included the removal of gamertags and player titles while swimming underwater, making players less visible here. This feature has also been temporarily removed. The team plans to reinstate these features soon, once they've identified the source of the plethora of AllmondBeard errors that were appearing in-game.
There were plenty of features of the update that have remained in the game. You can see a full list of those below. If you don't want to read the patch notes, Senior Producer Drew Stevens talks players through the main features of the patch in the developer update video below the patch notes.
- Now in Stock! - Imperial Sovereign Blunderbuss, Pistol, Sails, Hull and Liveries are now available to purchase in the Ancient Isles. They were incorrectly listed as available in Patch 1.0.6.
- Flintlock Pistol - New sound effects for close fire and reloading the Flintlock Pistol.
- Icons - Within the clothing chest, the icons to unequip all or select a random outfit have been updated.
- Health Bar UI - Deciding whether to eat that banana or keep swiping your sword? You'll notice some changes to the health bar UI, fancy!
Progression and Economy Updates
- Price Changes - Greedy pirates had overpriced the Castaway Bilge Rat weapons and ship liveries. These have now been reduced. Anyone who purchased items within this set pre-price adjustment will have the difference reimbursed very soon.
- Strike Gold - As Pirates rank up with all the trading companies, the chances of finding more valuable rewards has been increased. Say good-bye to those Castaway Chests at higher ranks!
- Players should no longer experience details of their pirate (such as hair colour / scars) looking different from their initial selection.
- Players should no longer experience delayed achievements and commendations from in-game actions.
- During last week's maintenance window we made improvements to our servers and services which should have resolved both of the above issues. If you are still encountering the above two issues, please log a Support Ticket so we can investigate this further.
- Resolved issue that sometimes showed riddle landmarks as glowing rocks.
- Resolved an issue on Faithful Isle which could have prevented players from completing riddle voyages.
- Bounty Captains and Crew will no longer have their names mixed up.
- Gunpowder Barrels will no longer cause two explosions if detonated when being held by a player.
- Loaded cannons will no longer intermittently appear unloaded when returning to the ship.
- Starting Merchant voyages back to back will no longer prevent the reminder to collect crates from appearing.
- When playing on wide monitors the settings menu UI will no longer have clipping issues.
- Being on an Order of Souls voyage no longer causes fewer ambient skeletons to spawn.
- Cannonball, wooden plank and banana crates no longer always spawn empty.
- Restarting the game will no longer reset the frame rate lock option.
- Fixed a collision issue on Thieves' Haven.
- Equipping the Seadog Hull on a sloop will now match the preview image.
- Muting all other crews will no longer mute your own crew.
- The floor texture of the crows nest on the galleon now appears correctly.
- Resolved a shader issue caused the balcony outside the Captain's Cabin on the galleon to appear incorrectly.
- There is no longer a gap between a characters head and the Imperial Sovereign Hat when it is equipped.
- Restored missing 90 fps frame rate lock option.
- Frame rates will now be more consistent during ship battles, sword fights and Kraken encounters due to visual effect optimisations.
- Latency has been improved in multiple-ship and skeleton heavy scenarios due to server optimisations.
- Frame rates can now be locked to 100 FPS.
- [PC Only] Fixed GPU driver hangs/crashes on certain graphics devices.
- [PC Only] Resolved bug which triggered Copperbeard error when alt-tabbing.
- Multiple server crash fixes.
Further improvements and optimisations for all platforms are ongoing.
Version 1.0.7 is available now and is sized at 800MB on all platforms.This game was featured in our The Best Xbox MMOs Available in 2018 article. Why not check it out to see what else made the cut?