A slew of framerate and performance problems have plagued PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds
. A new hotfix will be deployed on September 18th to fix the issues. There is a concerted attempt to minimize the impact. The details are below.
The following graphical changes are being toned down.
Shadow Quality (Both Dynamic/Static) lowered
- Turn off Motion Blur
- Decrease quality of Screen Space Ambient Occlusion (SSAO)
- Turn off Depth of Field
- Turn off Lens Flare
- Decrease Eyes Adaption Quality. This is the time it takes for your eyes to adapt to the dark when you go from a bright to dark place.
- Turn off Screen Space Reflection (SSR). This is the reflection from windows and such.
- Turn off Refraction. This is refracted light.
- Turn off Subsurface Scattering (SSS). This is when there is light inside an object to make it look more real.
- Turn off Particle Light. This is dynamic light from different effects such as explosions.
- Lower the number of particles created.
Resolution and textures are not expected to change. The devs wanted to make sure quality stayed the same, so they are only changing specific graphics like reflections and shadowing. Not everyone is experiencing problems, but enough players are that they wanted to solve the problem.
Here are the 'before' pictures:
After the expected changes after the hotfix:
There are a few other things in the patch that are being fixed. Among them are the Lost Connection to Host problem and inventory customization problems where the game slows significantly. There are ongoing talks with Microsoft about achievement tracking and unlocking problems.
Lastly, some brief details were releaseed about War Mode. War Mode will be available on September 21st. War Mode will only be available on select weekends in Event Mode. War Mode will be a new event with different settings. It is a PVP deathmatch in a static zone. If you are killed, you will respawn in planes that randomly fly by. Teams can get points for knockdowns, kills, and reviving teammates. The team that reaches the points goal, or has the highest points when the match timer ends, wins the battle. War Mode will be available for everyone, at any time, when the Custom Match feature is released in October.
The hotfix patch will launch on September 18th, and War Mode on September 21st.
We've got the full list of PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds achievements
- check the list for guides to unlocking them.Check out our Best Xbox MMOs Available in 2018 article for a compilation of other great games in this genre.