More news has come from Capcom's Captivate event in the form of the announcement of a new IP, Dragon's Dogma
is being billed as an open-world action game that will allow gamers to "explore and interact in a rich, living and breathing world."
With a name like Dragon's Dogma
, there is, as you might expect, a dragon in the mix. The game's main quest will charge your character, and their team of three, to track down and destroy a mysterious dragon. Your fellow characters will be independently controlled from the main character and will use talents and skills that are based on traits they learn over time from you and your actions.
Capcom is also extolling the praises of the following features:
• Highly Stylized Action Combat – The creators of this game were responsible for the action hits – Resident Evil 4 and Devil May Cry 4.
• Fight With Ability – The soul of combat comes down to how the game is played, where you strike the enemy, and how you react to their attacks.
• Accessible Depth – Bringing an unprecedented level of depth to the action genre, every decision has an effect on gameplay in an intuitive way that does not require micromanagement. The weight of your weapon, the material of your armor – even the length of your legs – plays a role in how you fight your battles, but does not interrupt the flow of the action.
• Epic Adventure – Dragon’s Dogma is built from the ground up as an action experience for consoles with a continuous, epic storyline that stands alone in style, scope and substance.
• Open World – Utilizing Capcom’s proprietary MT Framework engine and the groundbreaking graphical styles and lighting effects used in Resident Evil 5 and Lost Planet 2, Dragon’s Dogma expands the environment to create a vast, richly detailed world, ripe for exploration.
• A Rich Population – In addition to interacting with hundreds of fully voiced NPCs, you’ll be able to fight a large variety of creatures, from goblins to griffins and dragons.
Capcom has also released a handful of screenshots showing the ongoing development of Dragon's Dogma
Lastly, but certainly not least, an announcement trailer.
is set for an "early 2012" release.