Revealed last month, the Age of Discovery
update has finally arrived on consoles. As the name suggests, players get to experience content from the Star Trek: Discovery
universe, including new episodes, additional Reputation Tiers, and new rewards from the Random Task Force Operation System.
The events of Age of Discovery begin just after the Battle at the Binary Stars, in the year 2256. The United Federation of Planets is now at war with Klingon forces led by J’Ula, the matriarch of the House of Mo’Kai and sister of T’Kuvma. Together with another Starfleet Academy cadet, Sylvia Tilley, players will board the U.S.S. Glenn and take on missions that will see them travelling to locations such as Starbase 1 and the Dilithium Mines of Corvan II. They'll also meet characters such as Thy’kir Shran, the son of Star Trek: Enterprise
's Thy’lek Shran.
There will be content for both new and veteran players on offer, and you can see a full list of new features below:
- Playable Discovery Era Federation Faction – Players can create a brand new Discovery era Federation Captain with a new tutorial experience and explore Starfleet in the year 2256, just after the Battle at the Binary Stars.
- Two New Episodes – Players from all factions can explore two new episodes, where they will be tasked with fending off Klingon boarding the U.S.S. Glenn, and defending Starbase 1 from an assault by Klingon House D’Ghor.
- New Task Force Operation - Queues in Star Trek Online will now be known as “Task Force Operations.” Age of Discovery’s newest Task Force Operation (TFO) will take players back to the year 2256, to protect Starbase 1 in Federation Space.
- Random Task Force Operations System – Those who queue for a randomly selected TFO through this new system will be rewarded with a large bonus, along with the standard rewards for completing the challenge.
- Streamlined Mission Journal - The mission journal has been streamlined for all Federation factions, in order to help new players better access the main story content in Star Trek Online. This affects Task Force Operations, which now unlock earlier in progression
- Added Reputation Tiers - All reputations will be extended to Tier 6 and will include upgrades to existing rewards, plus upgrades to existing ones.
The first part of Age of Discovery is available now for Xbox One players. Part two is scheduled to arrive on consoles in March 2019, with part three tentatively pencilled in for May 2019 at the moment.
We've got the full list of Star Trek Online achievements
- check the list for guides to unlocking them.Check out our Best Xbox MMOs Available in 2018 article for a compilation of other great games in this genre.