I've been interested in charts since I was a kid — finding out which artist had sold enough records to reach number 1 was a regular weekly event in our household. I was naturally interested in the video game sales charts, produced by several institutions, but I've found all of them wanting. For example, UKIE releases a UK retail games chart
every week, but it doesn't include digital sales, so it doesn't tell anything like the full story. We wanted to produce something that produced a more accurate representation of the titles all Xbox gamers are actually playing
, so we've produced the first ever Xbox Gameplay Chart
Each chart follows these key points:
- The chart is compiled on a Monday morning, and takes gameplay data from the previous 7 days.
- The data is taken from a huge pool of active Xbox gamers (well over half a million)
- The gamers come from everywhere across the globe
- The gamers are not just TrueAchievements users, it's a general cross section of Xbox gamers
- We are not looking at achievement data — if someone plays a game and doesn't unlock anything, it still counts
- We will not be releasing individual numbers for each game, just their chart positions
We are going to be releasing the Xbox Gameplay Chart every Monday at 4pm GMT, and you can find the first chart here
. We hope you will find it interesting.