Update [10:55 am GMT, 14th January]: Some alert commenters have correctly indicated that this latest announcement is actually a more specified follow-up to a previous announcement, with the epilogue patches confirmed back in December 2018 due to a content leak. Edits have subsequently been made within this article. Apologies for any confusion. Credit goes to Wyyvern for pointing us towards the initial announcement.
With the release of KINGDOM HEARTS III almost most upon us, it would appear that new information regarding the game's content continues to circulate. Subsequent to last week's trophy leak and keyblade reveals, a rather more peculiar announcement has just been made - Kingdom Hearts III will be launching without its epilogue. However, it won't affect people for very long.
Confirmed through a series of tweets, Square Enix have stipulated that Kingdom Hearts III's epilogue, presented as a video after one completes the game's story, will unavailable on the day of release. Instead, it is planned to be patched in the very next day (January 30th), largely due to the developers wishing to protect their game's ending after a portion of the game was leaked online ahead of time. Square Enix have taken this opportunity to confirm that various other free post-launch updates will also be available very soon. For ease of access, we have re-formatted the tweets into a chronological release schedule, which can be seen below.
Given the fact that it is unlikely (perhaps impossible) for those without pre-launch access to complete Kingdom Hearts III before the patch is released, the omission of an epilogue until the day after release should have little to no impact on any player's experience.
Tuesday, January 29th
- Update 1.01 (several data fixes) Memory Archive (videos)
- The Memory Archive option will be added to the game’s title menu and can be viewed at any time.
- The Memory Archive is a digest of the Kingdom Hearts story in the series up to this point.
Wednesday, January 30th
- Epilogue (video)
- Players will need to have completed Kingdom Hearts III and seen the ending to view this video.
Thursday, January 31st
- Secret (video)
- Players will need to have completed Kingdom Hearts III and seen the ending, as well as fulfilled certain criteria during play to view this video.
- The criteria vary depending on the difficulty level selected.
- The epilogue and secret movie are video content that will enhance player’s enjoyment of the world of Kingdom Hearts.
- These pieces of downloadable content are additional elements for Kingdom Hearts III
- The main game allows players to proceed to and view the ending without the need for an internet connection.
Are you excited for Kingdom Hearts III? Lets us know in the comments.
Get the biggest Xbox news delivered straight to your inbox every week.