Now that the new year has begun, the team at 343 Industries has decided to introduce a Winter Celebration to Halo: The Master Chief Collection as part of this month's update. There's also more skulls to find in Halo: Combat Evolved, a new "modern aiming" option, and plenty of gameplay improvements and bug fixes.
Due to the success of the Flood-themed splash screen and main menu for the October Flood event, the developer has decided they will be having challenges or goals during events for players to complete where they can earn menu takeovers and nameplates. The current takeover is a "snowy winter wonderland", and there's an event running to earn the Ugly Sweater Nameplate. All players have to do is play 12 complete matchmade games in January. Those who already completed this objective in December will be receiving their nameplate shortly.
The new "modern aiming" option has been introduced because several players felt that aim acceleration didn't "feel right". This option tries to make aim acceleration zones smoother on the controller by using values found in Halo 2 Anniversary or Halo 4, rather than those in the older titles. This smoothes cursor movement and makes diagonal aim acceleration zones harder to activate. Modern aiming will be turned on by default for all titles in the collection, but this can be changed back to the legacy setting in the Controller Settings menu if you wish.
Next, the Halo: Combat Evolved campaign has just received eight more skulls:
In terms of playlists, H3 Hardcore Team Doubles has been removed due to the end of tournaments that used the playlist. A new “Super Duper Fiesta!” rotational playlist has been added to the game, though, replacing "Team Action Sack" for the time being. This includes Fiesta variants from, Halo 2 Anniversary, Halo 2 Classic, Halo 3 and Halo 4. You can find the Match Composer Settings Changes below:
- Anger – Enemies and allies fire their weapons faster and more frequently.
- Bandana – Fixed a bug with this skull so now energy-based weapons have infinite ammo as well.
- Catch – Enemies throw and drop more grenades.
- Ghost – A.I. characters will not flinch from attacks, melee or otherwise.
- Sputnik – the Mass of objects is decreased, making them more easily displaced
- That's Just Wrong – Strengthens the hearing of both allies and enemies. They will now notice the slightest sound of reloading or drawing a weapon, footsteps, etc. A.I. also have increased accuracy.
- Thunderstorm – Field Promotions to the ranks of all A.I. characters so they are more difficult to fight, smarter, and more dangerous.
- Tough Luck – Enemies always go berserk, always dive out of the way, and never flee.
Finally, there's a list of bug fixes in the spoiler below, as well as some known issues:
- Removed Action Sack and replaced with Super Duper Fiesta!
- [4v4] Added a Super Duper Fiesta! Game preset.
- [4v4] [H2, H2A, H3, H4] Added Super Duper Fiesta! Entries.
- [8v8] [H3, H4] Moved BTB Heavies entries from Action Sack to Slayer at low weighting
- [8v8] [H4] Moved Dominion entries from Action Sack to King of the Hill.
The January update is available in game now.
We've got the full list of Halo: The Master Chief Collection achievements - check the list for guides to unlocking them.
This game was featured in our Best Xbox First Person Shooters Available in 2018 article. Why not check it out to see what else made the cut?
Get the biggest Xbox news delivered straight to your inbox every week.