Last month at The Game Awards, PUBG Corp promised a fourth map would be arriving in January for PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds on consoles. The Vikendi map brings snowy conditions to the game for the first time, as well as a new Survivor Pass, weapons and a vehicle, and all of that content arrived in the game with today's update.
Vikendi is a 6x6km snowy map that offers a variety of different gameplay elements not seen elsewhere in the game. The snow and ice makes it harder for vehicles to gain traction, becoming more dangerous as speeds increase, and they're slower to accelerate. Both vehicles and players on foot will leave tracks behind them in snowy areas and other players can use these to track their quarry, although the tracks only stay visible for a limited amount of time. This means that gameplay on this new map is quicker than that on Erangel and Miramar, although it's a "more tactical experience" than Sanhok. For notes on the Redzone, Bluezone and item spawn balancing, check out the patch notes below:
The new free Survivor Pass: Vikendi replaces the Survival Rewards system. Throughout the pass' ten-week duration, players can complete missions to gain a variety of different rewards as they level up. As well as the free pass, there is the Premium Pass that allows players to complete special missions and additional rewards. There are five mission types:
- The center of the red zone spawns outside of the play zone
- The smaller the play zone, the smaller the red zone
- The first circle of every game is much smaller than other maps, but subsequent circle sizes change less drastically.
- This facilitates more blue zone variety and unique experiences.
- Similar strategies work on Vikendi to Erangel and Miramar for the first three phases, but the zones will close slower starting from phase 4, similar to Sahnok. We feel this leads to a good balance between strategy and gunplay throughout the duration of each match
Item Spawn Balance
- The overall item spawn rate is at a midpoint between our maps – offering a unique place between the spawn rates of Erangel and Sahnok.
- Level 3 helmets spawn in the world
- Level 3 vests spawn more often than other maps
- Smoke Grenades are spawned at a higher rate compared to other throwables
Players can earn coupons by levelling up the pass or by completing missions. These are then used to unlock items from the imaginatively named Coupon Shop.
- Daily Missions: 3 missions will be provided every day. You swap out up to 1 mission per day.
- Weekly Missions: 10 missions will be available every week, and you can view the missions for specific weeks. Premium Pass holders can complete up to 10 missions per week and all players with Survivor Pass: Vikendi can complete up to 4 missions.
- Beginner Missions: Easy missions which are provided for beginner players.
- Premium Missions: All players can complete these missions, but only players who have the Premium Pass can claim rewards after completion.
- Challenge Missions: Theses are special missions provided for players who’ve completed all their weekly missions in a specific week. It contains more challenging and advanced missions. All players can complete Challenge Missions, but only players who have the Premium Pass can claim rewards after completion.
As well as the new map and pass, two more weapons and a vehicle have been added to the game today. The first weapon is the Skorpion that spawns on all maps:
The second weapon, the G36C, and the snowmobile vehicle only spawn on Vikendi. The snowmobile seats two players and is great on snow and ice... not so much on other terrain types. As for the G36C:
- Single fire and full auto fire mode
- Uses 9mm ammo, it can load up to 20 bullets and 40 with an Extended Magazine
- Sight: Red dot sight
- Muzzle: Suppressor
- Lower Rail: Vertical Foregrip, Half Grip, Light Grip, Laser Sight
- Stock: Stock for Micro UZI
- Magazine: Extended Magazine only
To see all of the other gameplay improvements and bug fixes, you can see the full patch notes here. Update#4 is available in game now.
- Chambered for 5.56mm ammo, it can load 30 bullets and 40 with an Extended Magazine
- G36C has a lower and upper rail for attachments, but cannot attach a stock
We've got the full list of PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds achievements - check the list for guides to unlocking them.
This game was featured in our Best Xbox One Battle Royale Games Available in 2019 article. Why not check it out to see what else made the cut?
Get the biggest Xbox news delivered straight to your inbox every week.