If you're going to keep players interested in your multiplayer game, you need to keep adding content. Treyarch intends to do just this with an entire year of content, events and updates for Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 that will be split across four seasons. The first season, Operation Grand Heist, begins on Xbox next week and will bring along a new Specialist, new weapons, new modes, and updates across all three areas of the game.
Black MarketBlackjack is a trader who specialises in contraband gear and he makes his return in Operation Grand Heist. There are also some new additions to the his shop. Special Orders and the Item Shop have been combined into a new My Deals section. A new Inventory tab also allows players to keep track of their goods more easily. Finally, there are Cases, which will be the game's equivalent of loot boxes. The following is a list of new features that will arrive throughout the season:
- 100 Tiers: Preview the entire Contraband stream of Operation Grand Heist from Tiers 1-100 on day one, including all-new weapons, Specialist outfits, a new Blackout character, and more.
- New Specialist: Outrider is available at Tier 1 of Operation Grand Heist, which unlocks her for use in Multiplayer and Blackout.
- New Blackout Characters: Keep an eye out for iconic new Blackout Characters, including Misty from the Black Ops II Zombies crew, and Brutus, the undead warden from “Blood of the Dead”.
- New Contraband Weapons: Expand your loadout by earning the Switchblade X9 SMG, Rampage full-auto shotgun, and the Cha-Ching! money bag melee weapon during Operation Grand Heist. More weaponry will also become available as the Operation continues through April 2019.
- New Signature Weapons: New Signature Weapons will now be available in Blackjack’s Reserves, and will provide a bonus +25% XP boost per kill while using the Signature (“MKII”) version of any gun.
- New Reactive Camos: Deck out some of your favorite weapons, including the Maddox RFB and VAPR-XKG, with weapon-specific Reactive Camos that change based on your actions during a match. You’ll also be able to equip these on guns that have the Gold Mastery Camo unlocked.
- New Outfits: New Epic Outfits for multiple Specialists let you choose a side: cops or robbers? Some Outfits are available from day 1 in the Contraband stream, and others will release throughout the Operation in the Black Market.
- New Blackout Jump Packs: All-new Jump Packs hold a matching wingsuit, parachute, and contrail effect to customize your look and let you hot drop in style.
- Blackjack’s Reserves: New Reserve items include playable zombie Blackout characters, Vacation Hudson sporting a Hawaiian shirt and tie, Mastercrafts for the KN-57 and Outlaw, and much more. Items from Reserves in past Operations will be available in Blackjack’s Reserves, including the Mozu Replicant and SG12 Boombox Mastercrafts. Additionally, Cases containing Blackjack Reserves can be earned by playing Multiplayer or Blackout, or they can be acquired in the Black Market.
MultiplayerA new Specialist, Outrider, will be available from the first day of the Operation in Multiplayer and Blackout as long as players have completed the first tier of the new Black Market Operation. She comes with "new and improved" weapons and a new gadget. Her Sparrow Special Issue weapon now has better precision and increased power thanks to explosive-tipped arrows that explode on impact.Her Special Issue Equipment is a drone called the Hawk. This can be flown by the player to any position on the map, where it will then tag all enemies within its viewpoint.
In terms of new modes, Party Games return to the franchise and will kick things off with One in the Chamber. As usual, players have three lives and a pistol with a single bullet. Players regain bullets with perfect shots or melee kills. This is the first of "several" game modes that will be introduced throughout the season, such as Infected, Barebones, Prop Hunt, and Fracture.
Black Ops Pass players will have access to two new multiplayer maps in Core and Hardcore modes — Lockup and Casino. Lockup takes place at a Los Angeles police station during an active assault, with battles taking place across the entirety of the building. Casino is based at a Monaco gambling resort. While there won't be any new maps as such for all players, there will be "alternate lighting and weather versions" of existing maps made available in rotation later in the season.
BlackoutThe Blackout map has received a face lift by adding a new destination and new supporting structures, such as new buildings and more lootable locations. The new destination is known as Ghost Town, found in the southeast desert. The Western-themed area features two new locations taken from Black Ops II. The first is Outlaw, a re-imagined version of Standoff, while the second is Buried, a series of underground caverns inspired by the Zombies location of the same name.
There will be new game modes too. Hot Pursuit is a mode that allows respawns and includes three new vehicles — the SUV, Muscle Car, and PBR. The new police vehicles come with built-in Sensor Darts that easily detect occupied Muscle Cars. Hardcore mode will arrive later on, as well as a "top secret" in-game event.
Those who have reached Echelon 80 can prepare themselves for the new Prestige System. Players can Prestige up to ten times and earn themselves the title of Blackout Prestige Master. Each Prestige will unlock new Prestige icons, Calling Cards, and Victory Coins, amongst other rewards.
Finally, Black Ops Pass players will have access to a new character, Cosmic Silverback, from Dead Ops Arcade.
ZombiesA new Gauntlet will be introduced in the form of Death-Con Five, based on the Classified map. As the Ultimis versions of Richtofen, Dempsey, Takeo, and Nikolai, players will take on another 30 rounds of challenges at the Pentagon. Later on in the season, there will be the Hellcatraz Gauntlet that will offer 30 rounds of challenges on Blood of the Dead. Finally, there's also a "community-inspired Gauntlet" promised for later in the season.
Rewards for Daily Callings will be improved. Completing Daily Callings in the Zombies Barracks will reward players with an additional Tier Skip at a rate of up to two Tier Skips per day. This means players can now earn loot weapons through playing Zombies. Treyarch has also promised "more long-term improvements for even better rewards" in the future.
A new Ethereal Razor Perk will be added the second week of the season. This allows players to mete out "devastating" melee damage. Players will also be able to equip Signature Weapons in the Zombies Armory. Other updates will include better stability in higher rounds, host migration, server pause, and splitscreen pause.
Operation Grand Heist will begin next week. Three more operations will also occur throughout the year, beginning in spring, summer, and fall respectively.
We've got the full list of Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 achievements - check the list for guides to unlocking them.
This game was featured in our Best Xbox One Battle Royale Games Available in 2019 article. Why not check it out to see what else made the cut?
Get the biggest Xbox news delivered straight to your inbox every week.