Back in November when the Zedhunter update was unveiled for State of Decay 2, the team also mentioned they would be adding a "new difficulty experience" to the game in 2019. Well, Undead Labs' Senior Producer, Dacey Willoughby, took to the stage during Inside Xbox to reveal the upcoming Choose Your Own Apocalypse Update that will add two new difficulties to the game.
To benefit from the new difficulty levels, players can choose to either start a new community or move one of their existing communities to the difficulty zone they wish to play. The first of those zones is the Dread Zone, and the second is the Nightmare Zone, the latter of which is supposed to be a "punishing" challenge even for hardcore players. A full list of features for each of the zones is below:
The Choose Your Own Apocalypse Update will also come with other quality of life fixes, as well as 16 new achievements worth 275 Gamerscore. If you want to see the update in action before it's released, check out the developer stream below that immediately followed the Inside Xbox presentation:
- Threat level is elevated, making sieges at your base more frequent and more dangerous.
- Hordes are larger and more frequent, and some of them wear armor.
- Zombie attacks do more damage and cause more injuries.
- Zombies are no longer visible on the mini-map unless your active character has the Scouting skill.
- Zombies will spend longer chasing a noise before losing interest.
- Blood Plague is more infectious and kills you faster (death can occur within 30 minutes of infection).
- Hostile NPCs can survive a headshot or two before dying.
Nightmare Zones have all the same challenges as Dread Zones, plus –
- There are significantly more freaks and hordes in the world.
- Zombies have an extremely long memory for where noises came from.
- Bloaters, screamers, and ferals can travel in packs.
- Blood plague is even more virulent (death can occur within 10 minutes of infection).
- Plague hearts are more abundant.
- Hostile NPCs can take even more headshots before dying.
- Hostile NPCs have a chance to headshot the player, bringing them near death.
- There are even fewer resources and items to be found out in the world.
- Many of the sites in each map have been completely looted before you can even get there.
- Vehicles are even rarer, and tend to show up broken-down and out of gas.
The Choose Your Own Apocalypse Update will be released on March 26th, so stock up on supplies and batten down the hatches in preparation for a new, deadlier zed invasion.
We've got the full list of State of Decay 2 achievements - check the list for guides to unlocking them.
This game was featured in our 7 Horror Games That Deserve Sequels (And 3 That Don't) article. Why not check it out to see what else made the cut?
Get the biggest Xbox news delivered straight to your inbox every week.