Minecraft Has Sold 176 Million Copies In Its First 10 Years

By James Kearle, 1 month ago
This past week saw the 10-year anniversary of Minecraft marked in various ways. Developers Mojang began by making a playable version of Minecraft Classic available through their website, and Microsoft announced on Friday that Minecraft Earth would be bringing the blocky sandbox phenomenon to Android and iOS devices via Augmented Reality. However, amidst the ongoing celebration, another announcement from Microsoft went under the radar — after 10 years, Minecraft has amassed a sale count of over 176 Million across all platforms.

Minecraft Kill The Beast Achievement

These numbers emphasize the huge sphere of influence Minecraft still has. VG247 recently reported that in April, roughly 150 Million copies of Minecraft had been shipped, implying that close to 26 Million purchases have been made in the last month alone (a decade after its initial release). From the same April figures, approximately 20% of those sales (30 Million) were on PC, meaning that the remaining 80% of Minecraft purchases are attributable to Xbox, Mobile, and other platforms.

Notre Dame

Whether you love or loathe Minecraft, it is difficult to overstate the impact the game has had upon the gaming community and entertainment as a whole in the last decade. Let us know if you're still enjoying Minecraft in 2019, and whether you plan on playing it in the years to come.

We've got the full list of Minecraft achievements - check the list for guides to unlocking them.

Check out our Best Xbox Survival Games to Play in 2018 article for a compilation of other great games in this genre.
James Kearle
Written by James Kearle
James is a 24-year-old gamer from Wales, UK. Fan of BioShock, Half-Life, Metro, Fallout, and Portal. Outside of gaming, James is an avid supporter of the San Francisco 49ers, San Francisco Giants, San Jose Sharks, and Cardiff Devils. He is also studying for an MBA, engaged, and hopes he never has to write about himself in the third-person ever again.