This is it. For years comic and movie fans alike have been salivating over Crystal Dynamics' take on the Avengers. Last year, those fans tuned into Square's E3 press conference with bated breath hoping for even a sliver of detail. None was provided. Then they watched Gamescom. And the Game Awards last December. Not a whisper. And so here the fans sat on the eve before E3 2019 began, ready as Square Enix hosted an incredibly dull, incredibly Japan-centric press conference that filled Mixer chat with confusion and a touch of hopelessness all the way until the very end. In a grand finale, Marvel's Avengers was revealed to us all.
So here's what we know:
That's pretty much it. Today's trailer was purely cinematic, and seemed to show off many emotional points that completely missed their mark without the rest of the story for context. Still, Crystal Dynamics has a solid track record and the Avengers have never had their opportunity to shine until now. We'll have to wait and see what the actual gameplay looks like.
- It's got cinematic storytelling with Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Black Widow and the Hulk front and center
- Poor Hawkeye is nowhere to be seen
- It's also got a young Hank Pym, presumably to confuse fans of the movies
- You play as the Avengers, plus a growing roster of other heroes
- All future heroes and regions are free, but some of it is PS4 exclusive
- No pay to win mechanics and no loot boxes
Marvel's Avengers did at least receive a release date — May 15, 2020.
We don't have them yet, but we'll publish a story as soon as we pick up the Marvel's Avengers achievements.
Get the biggest Xbox news delivered straight to your inbox every week.