Edit: Those of you who wanted a trailer can now watch the official announcement trailer at your leisure.
The Sims 3 has already received many expansions on the PC. In a break from franchise tradition, Sims 3: Pets will be a full, standalone retail title available in time for the holidays this year. This time around, players can take control of their Sims pets and assist Sims in solving the mysteries around their town.
Other key features of the latest Sims title include:
• Fully controllable pets just like your Sims. Pets are playable, so you can direct your Sim’s pet to hunt, climb, dig and more. Who knows what kind of mischief they might get into!Unique to the Xbox 360 version will be the ability to command your Sims and pets using the Kinect's voice controls. Voice commands will be specially designed for Sims players.
• Give your pets personality traits! For the first time in The Sims franchise history, The Sims 3 Pets gives your pet traits which allow you to create truly unique animals with personalities all of their own!
• New pet choices! Sims can adopt specific breeds of cats and big and small dogs on all platforms.
• Sims can take their pets into Town! Take your dog to the park or bring your cat to the library.
• Embark on new adventures—Sims can explore the town, using their pets to sniff out treasures and uncover mysteries.
The moment I get my hands on this game I'm creating a spindly red-headed Sim with a green shirt and his pet Great Dane.
Sims 3: Pets is slated for release during the 2011 holiday season.
We've got the full list of The Sims 3 achievements - check the list for guides to unlocking them.