Update: In a recent video on Twitter, Geoff Keighley has upped the announcement count of brand new games from "around ten" to "around 15... The titles... everything, is brand new."
Original story: With X019 out of the way and no announcements whatsoever at the recent PlayStation Awards, the only chance for further reveals left in the year is Geoff Keighley's The Game Awards. Keighley himself took to Reddit for an Ask Me Anything, answering questions from the community. He spoke a lot about his long career in the industry and the finer points of the Awards' processes, but he also dropped a few notes about this year's Awards show. One of those information nuggets is the fact that there will apparently be "around ten" new games and projects announced at the show this year.
As we covered yesterday, Resident Evil 3 will not be one of the announced games at The Game Awards according to Keighley himself during this AMA. He later clarified the point further – "Nothing from our show has leaked this year". In other words, apparently none of the other leaks we have discussed in recent months will be revealed during The Game Awards; we shouldn't expect to hear more on A Plague Tale 2 or a new Tony Hawk game. While certainly in the realm of rumour, we wouldn't call Bluepoint Games' maddening riddles or the Dragon Age 4 tease leaks as they are clearly part of a deliberate marketing strategy – so there's still a possibility that these mentions will bear fruit during the show.
Keighley says the show will "probably" last about two and a half hours, which makes sense – beyond the announcements, there's also a heck of a lot of awards categories to get through. Keighley also hinted that he will be talking about "a big new concept" next week, which encapsulates not just where he wants to take The Game Awards, but involves the future of "events like E3 too". He didn't share more, except to say "It's going to involve all of you around the world. I can't wait to share it". We wonder if Keighley is thinking about recent steps made in game streaming thanks to xCloud and Google Stadia; we're not far from a future where players around the world could not only tune into an event, but potentially play demo builds of upcoming games that they would normally only have access to at physical events. Keighley still has a fond memory of E3 – he's been to every one since "the first one in 1995" – but he describes the situation at the flagging industry event as "sad": "E3 stands at a real crossroads... I'm trying to do all I can to help."
Normally Keighley himself starts generating cryptic hints as to the games that are going to be shown at The Game Awards, also routinely misinterpreted by the press (including us – we really thought there was going to be an Alien reveal last time). For now, Keighley has just remarked that "most of the stuff in the show this year are brand new games. But there is still a week to go :)".
One matter of debate in the AMA was the fact that Kojima's audience-dividing opus Death Stranding is up for several awards this year, yet Keighley himself features in the game as a cameo. Some have speculated that this could be seen as a conflict of interest, though Keighley has made it clear that he is not involved in the jury and he also doesn't get a vote of any kind in the final results.
As producer of the show I'm inevitably going to have relationships with people in the industry. That's what allows me to do the show in the first place. The producers of the Oscars, for instance, are often (or almost always) people who produce movies... All I can do is be transparent about those relationships and make sure the voting is separate."The Game Awards 2019 takes place on December 12th at 8:30pm ET, 5:30pm PT; that's a late start for European viewers, 1.30am on the 13th in the UK and 2:30am in Central Europe. The event is being held in the Microsoft Center in Los Angeles, and will feature performances from CHVRCHES and Green Day as well as orchestrated pieces from Lorne Balfe, veteran video game, movie and TV composer with credits on the Assassin's Creed series and the Skylanders series. More recently his work will have been heard in Mission Impossible: Fallout and the BBC's current adaptation of His Dark Materials.
Voting is still open for the Awards. The nominees are chosen by an international jury of "over 80" global media and influencer outlets. Each outlet casts a "confidential, unranked ballot" based on the collective opinion of its editorial staff. This voting jury constitutes 90% of the final vote, with the other 10% taken from public fan voting. Fans can cast votes once every 24 hours on the site, in Google Search and also via Twitter and Discord DMs for certain categories. Fan voting closes on December 11th at 6pm PT.