City Interactive has announced a new arcade flight sim that will be coming to the Xbox 360 next year. Players will be able to pilot a variety of aircraft and take part in aerial dog fights and fighter missions across the major battle scenes of World War II in Combat Wings: The Great Battles of WWII
Triple A: Aerial Arcade Authenticity
• Pick-up-and-playability. Explosive arcade action alongside advanced physics and painstaking recreation of actual events and aircraft creates an experience that’s easily accessible but hard to master;
• All aircraft are based on authentic models and all combat missions are representative of actual WWII engagements;
• Accessible behind-the-aircraft view means the game is not a sterile simulation, but an advanced air combat arcade shooter;
• Fun, dynamic battles offer a wide variety of action and most importantly targets to destroy – any given battle will combine dogfighting, escort missions and ground assault;
• Multiplayer aerial deathmatch provides players the chance to test their mettle against human opponents;
• Single-player game modes include Free Flight where players can choose a plane and roam over faithfully created environments, and Dogfight where players can pit their wits against up to nine AI-controlled opponents.
Innovative Story Arc
• Combat Wings: The Great Battles of WWII weaves a compelling narrative into action taken from the pages of history, pitting pilots against massive odds in some of the most iconic battles of the age.
• Each of the four campaigns introduces multiple characters – both on your side and the enemy’s – creating the ties that help you fight for your comrades, and the added incentive to hunt down your foes
City Interactive go on to describe each of the four campaigns in more detail:
Battle Of Britain
Fresh from training, you have arrived at an airfield on the coast of England in time for the epic showdown with the Luftwaffe during the Battle Of Britain. Together with your wingmen, you will rise through the ranks by defeating relentless German bomber raids and terrifying V-1 flying rockets.
Playing as a veteran, you and you two wingmen will fight above the desert of North Africa, supporting the British Eighth Army in its conflict with the Afrika Korps. The trio will encounter fierce dogfights over besieged Tobruk, sink German convoys on the Mediterranean Sea, and support Montgomery’s armored offensive at El Alamein.
The Eastern Front
As a young Soviet pilot you will help halt the Nazi invasion of your homeland during the desperate defense of Mother Russia. As you prove your skills in the cockpit, you will experience the turning of the tide and soon will be taking part in the final push to Berlin.
Arriving at Midway Atoll immediately before the Japanese attack, you will be thrust straight into the action as you attempt to fend off the might of the Imperial Japanese Navy and its fearsome carrier air wing. With your wingmen, you’ll fight savage dogfights and take part in devastating assaults on the fleet.
As well as the multiple campaigns, there will be a variety of multiplayer modes available too. Players can compete against each other in Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, Racing, Team Racing, Bomb-Target Hunting, Mission Survival and Fleet Escorting.Combat Wings: The Great Battles of WWII
is due to be released in September 2012.