It has been awhile since we have heard anything about Paradox Interactive's take on the tower defense genre. Set in the same world as the Majesty PC strategy series, Defenders of Ardania promises to add something a bit unique to the genre. Here's a list of the key gameplay features as described by Paradox Interactive and there is one that sticks out:
- An intriguing new take on the massively popular tower defense genre: players lead both offensive and defensive operationsMultiplayer and the ability to control both defensive and offensive units? That's a new concept for an arcade title. As of now, the multiplayer play modes include Free-for-All, Two versus Two, Team Survival and Sudden Death which can be applied to every other mode as well. All 18 single-player levels will be available as multi-player maps. Each level includes "points of interest", which are strategic areas that give a benefit to the first player to discover them. These can include a fog of war that obscures that area of the map for other players or a brief firepower boost to your units.
- Ardania: the world of Majesty with three playable races and their unique environments
- Defense: 24 different upgradeable towers to erect against the invading enemy
- Attack: 24 varied units with diverse attributes to assemble into an offensive force
- Strong multiplayer component with a variety of game modes for up to four players
- Interactive environment that affects gameplay
- A wide range of offensive and defensive spells
The three races are Human, Nature and Underworld, with those names subject to change as the game moves towards completion. The Human race is the most balanced, with the largest infantry in the game but a weakness with their air units. The Nature race is the fastest race, with spells that amplify their own speed and reduce that of their enemies. They may be the worst race at attacking towers but are the best at attacking other enemy units. The Underworld is comprised of slow, durable units and a heavy focus on using magic to amplify any strategy. Their towers are all unique and require a combination of towers to be successful. Each race will also include "Hero" units that cover a range of playstyles so that everyone will find a Hero that fits their particular playstyle.
A light show, Human tower style
The Underworld race in action
Here is a gameplay trailer of the Human race in motion:
Defenders of Ardania is due for release this September on the Xbox LIVE Arcade marketplace. A price has yet to be announced.
We've got the full list of Defenders of Ardania achievements - check the list for guides to unlocking them.