(Ahem) *cue Night Springs
For TrueAchievements users, the chance to win a free game from their favorite gaming site is a dream come true. But what if we're dealing not in dreams, but in nightmares? The few who dared enter had to search the dark depths of the internet and their minds alike in hopes they could come out as winner. Many attempts to survive were desperately futile and others fell just short, but only one can come out alive...in Night Springs.
It was a ton of fun for us to hold this competition for you guys, and without further delay I present to you our winner of Alan Wake's American Nightmare: catran
There were about 150 of you who entered, and out of those 150, about half of you (74) got all ten questions correct and were entered into the random drawing. Pretty good odds for a site of this size, yes? I wish we had enough codes for all of you, but as you heard from the creepy narrator, only one could win. Congratulations to catran!
I'm betting many of you want to know the answers, so here they are below. You'll be able to determine whether or not you were among the final 74.
1. The story of Alan Wake
takes place in present day, but the calendar inside the Bird Leg Cabin would have you believe otherwise. What year is printed on that calendar?1970
2. The name Barbara Jagger is a reference to an old Russian folk tale about a witch named Baba Yaga, but the residents of Bright Falls have a different name for their Barbara, according to the landlord of the trailer park
. What is the nickname? The Scratching Hag
. Many wrote in Granny Claws as well, which was a nickname of hers, but the landlord does not call her that at any point. Therefore, the only accepted answers were ones where it was noted Granny Claws was another name, but not the one Randolph the landlord uses, or those that answered simply 'The Scratching Hag'. This was one of two most commonly wrong answers.
3. The character of Alan Wake is voiced by an American actor and modeled after a Finnish actor. What are their names, and name one other acting credit each of them have in their careers.
Alan is voiced by Matthew Porretta
and modeled after Ilkka Villi
. Any IMDb search result was accepted.
4. The music of the in-game band The Old Gods of Asgard is performed by a real-life band. Which band is it, and name their first studio album.Poets of the Fall
, whose first album is Signs of Life
5. Who wrote The Alan Wake Files
and how does he meet his demise in Alan Wake
. We see him meet his demise by the axe of a Taken
in the opening dream sequence.
6. Dr. Emil Hartman wrote a book which is featured rather prominently in the game. What is the name of the book? The Creator's Dilemma
7. Bright Falls resident Pat Maine hosts a popular nighttime radio talk show. What is the name of the station he broadcasts from? KBF-FM
, and 97.6
were all accepted.
8. Throughout the game, Special Agent Nightingale sarcastically refers to Alan by using names of many different authors, but which does he call him first? Hemingway
, as in Ernest Hemingway, was the first sarcastic nickname given to Wake by the forever intoxicated Agent Nightingale. This one was also frequently wrong, with many of you saying Stephen King.
9. Bright Falls is proud to celebrate Deerfest annually, but mocks a rival town for celebrating a similar festival, as we hear on the radio at one point in the game. What is the name of that rival town and their festival? Watery celebrates Moosfest
10. During one flashback sequence, we get to watch Alan appear on a late night talk show to promote his newest book, and he also discusses some of his bad press. Who is the other guest of the show while Alan is there? Sam Lake
, Creative Director of Remedy.
Overall, did you guys think the questions were too hard, too easy, or just right? Let us know so, in the future, we can improve on this type of giveaway. Thanks to everyone who entered, and we hope you guys enjoyed it. We'll have more giveaways and competitions for you soon.