There are 4 videotapes in Resident Evil 7. Only the 4th and final one is mandtory, the first 3 are optional AND missable.
You must play them from start to back to earn this achievement in a single playthrough. You know it will end for that tape when the screen goes static with colour pixels and a time counter on the bottom.
1) Derelict House Footage.
Location: After entering the Baker Mansion for the very first time, head upstairs and you'll find a cassette recorder (where you physically save) and a video tape right next to it. Take it, head downstairs and into the living room where you will see a TV in static. Put in the video tape, and follow along.
The Tape: It's pretty linear, and is identical to the beginning of the demo. Should have no problems here.
Location: After the garage encounter with Jack
, you will have acquired the Ox Statuette piece and put it in the door to head into the main hall. Go upstairs and into the room without a snake pattern on the front (elderly lady might be my the plain door you need.) Go into the room with a pool table to see the Mia tape by a TV. Play it through to the end screen. (Note, there is also an achievement here , which is earned for not being caught by Marguerite.)
The Tape: The video guide attached to the solution is pretty much perfect. Just hide from marguerite. If you can't see her, she can't see you.
3) Happy Birthday.
Location: When looking for the two keycards after speaking to Ethan on the phone and opening the fridge in the trailer to find
you will need to get the snake key from
in the same garage area as the encounter with the car in 2) Mia Tape explanation. With the key, you will need to get the keycards - One of the rooms (the one with the snake pattern we ignored in 2).) will be a kids bedroom, where you will need to interact with a lamp and press the button under the shade to trigger a ladder to drop. After climbing said ladder, straight ahead is a cabinet with the Birthday tape in it. Play it in the same TV as 2). Play it through to the end screen. (Note, there is also an achievement here ) which is earned for completing the tape in under 5 minutes. Pretty easy, if you follow a video guide or the text below and pause after each step to read the next.)
The Tape: .
- Upon starting, pick up the candle and run into the room where the cake is. Water will douse out the flame.
- Walk up to the cake and dialogue will start.
- Whilst he his talking, run over to the lock box in the corner and put in the combination Chainsaw Man, Tombstone, Foetus. It will always be this combination. Pick up the doll.
- Pick up the winding key in the barrel to the left of this location.
- Light the stove in the kitchen area, and light your candle.
- Walk over to the door with rope on it and burn the rope, then go through to the room with balloons.
- In this room, find the yellow ballon.
- Attach it to the leaky gas pipe in the room prior to entering the balloon room.
- After the sequence of events, go to the stove and burn the doll. Pick up the dummy finger.
- Go to the Clown you picked the candle from at the very start. Put the finger in his hand, then the quill in his hand, then the key.
- After the charming sequence of events, go back into the balloon room. At this door, put in the code on your arm (LOSER, every time).
- Grab the crank.
- Go back to the cake room. The water will extinguish the flame, again. Use the crank to stop the water flow.
- The puzzle is complete. All we have to do now is go to the stove, relight the candle and put it on the cake.
- After the cutscene, the Tape will end.
4*) Old Videotape
Location: After inserting the fuse in the 1st level of the ship, you will go up to level 3, through a door and see
. You are required to view this tape to continue the story. It is unmissable. After completing this tape, you will unlock the achievement.