Marked by the blue question mark (or star if active) on the map. These are all the quests needed to complete (12 total) outside the main story line and the order they become available to be worked on. They do not need to be turned into the quest giver once complete - they will automatically complete after task is done.
Here is the list of what needs to be completed, the number needed to complete, and where the quest will start at:
1. Collect the sand bags (4) - Candy Kingdom
2. Find and return the candy children (10) - Candy Kingdom (see below of details on locations)
3. Knock out the Kraken (1) - the high seas leaving Candy Kingdom
4. Destroy junk (10) - Mushroom Island
5. Clear out all the stinky spores (10) - Evil Forest
6. Fight the pirates (7) - the high seas leaving Evil Forest
7. Collect the penguins (10) - Ice Kingdom (see below for details on locations)
8. Collect apples for Tree Trunks (12) - Evil Forest
9. Fix flood gate (BMO needed) - Candy Kingdom
10. Catch herrings to be pickled by Prismo (30) - Badlands
11. Help release captured candy people (1) - Gelato Island
12. Clear out the varmints (4) - Firebreak Island
Mushroom Island - 2
Evil Forest - 2
Badlands - 2
Fire Kingdom - 3
Matchbook Island - 1
Gelato Island - 1
Candy Kingdom - 1
Evil Forest - 1
Badlands - 1
Fire Kingdom - 2
Matchbook Island - 3
Firebreak Island - 1
- First apple is free.
- Strike various trees to drop.
- Need to navigate 2 small passages - one passage, then apple, second passage, then apple.
- There some on the island for Jake to grab.
- Need Marceline to sneak pass to grab a couple.
- NOTE: Everyone’s special ability is utilized here to gather apples.
- Finish ALL side quests before end boss. Seems there are some bugs with finishing them, especially the pirate ship spawn. NOTE: I have not experienced first hand this issue.
- The locations are the area kids/penguins are located at - generally, they are right near the port where the ship docks. The only difference is the 3 penguins on Matchbook Island - they are on the backside of the island.
- There is only room on the ship for 6 kids/penguins total. Make sure to empty out the ship when progressing to a new area in the main story line. This allow for best traveling results in time and capacity.
- Some places will respawn what is needed to complete the quest like pirate ships, fish, stinky spores, etc. The quest for clearing the stinky spores only have 9 active, total (I could not find a 10th one naturally). By jumping into the water or leaving the area and coming back in, the spores will reset.
- If the quest is active, then you will see the details of the blue star with what is being asked to complete on the map. If there are no details when hovering over and the marker is a question mark, then the quest is not active yet. Go to that area and start it up.