Free Play Mode
Whether you're a pro at word searches or completely new to them, we're going to ease our way into things. Start Free Play Mode. For the easiest path, set the Board Type to Square. The other two options are subject to your preference of language and bonus theme (Puzzle or Pair). The goal here is to gain 1,000 points. Luckily for us, there's no time limit whatsoever. Additionally, you will not lose any points for misspelling a word. Feel free to use the Default Board Type if you'd rather start practicing for the Survival Mode as that mode contains all three types of boards. Continue to complete boards until you reach 1,000 points. Since there's no time limit, try to go for the bonus points via the bonus theme or bonus multiplier (but don't spend too much time on them if you're having a lot of trouble finding them).
Once you reach or go over 1,000 points, you'll unlock:
Unlocked by 3,215 tracked gamers (56% - TA Ratio = 1.33)
The next mode we're going to tackle is Arcade Mode. Here, you will need to find the designated word that is being highlighted in the word bank. Additionally, either the first or last letter of the word will be highlighted on the board. There is no penalty for spelling a word wrong. This mode contains two types of time limits: an overall time limit and a combo time limit. Since all the achievements pertain to scoring combos, you'll need to pay attention to both of these timers (which are pretty generous). Each time you find a word, both timers will fill up. The overall timer is on the right-hand side of the screen. If this drains all the way down, the game will end. Once you near the bottom of the gauge, the game will start to produce an alarm-type sound and the background will blink red. The combo timer is located in the top left next to your Gamertag. It is a much smaller timer that will fill all the way back up once a word is found. Keep in mind that the number next to the timer is your highest combo achieved in that game. So if you get to 10 and let the combo timer run out. The 10 will not go away, but your combo will be reset. The number will only start to increase once you reach 10 again. You must reach 50 combos in a single game in a single run; it is not cumulative.
Don't worry; it's not difficult to keep your combo going since you'll always have the first or last letter of the word you need to find.
When you reach 5 combos, you'll unlock:
Unlocked by 5,439 tracked gamers (95% - TA Ratio = 1.02)
When you reach 30 combos, you'll unlock:
Unlocked by 3,789 tracked gamers (66% - TA Ratio = 1.22)
Finally, once you reach 50 combos, you'll unlock:
Unlocked by 2,512 tracked gamers (44% - TA Ratio = 1.50)
Now it's time to conquer Survival Mode. This mode is the most difficult mode in the game, but don't be too intimidated as I will give you a couple of tips to help you with the hard boards. The goal here is to find the words that have a bomb timer next to them in the word bank. Once the bomb timer runs out, the bomb will move to another word in the bank. When you find a bomb word, that bomb is eliminated. Once you've detonated all the bombs, you'll move on to the next board. There are 8 stages in total with 3 game boards and 1 bonus board in each stage. Be aware that there is a game timer for each board. If the timer runs out, you'll have to retry the board (the board will not be the same). There are infinite lives, so if you do fail a board, it's not a huge loss. Our goal is to obtain all the Survival Mode-related achievements in one playthrough, but it is not necessary to do so.
Here are a few things you'll want to keep in mind:
- Misspelling a word will not penalize you.
- Try your best to find non-bomb words first in order to maximize the points you receive, but don't spend too much time on them if you're running low on time.
- Occasionally, distractions will appear on the screen such as a shadow dancer (dance around the board, obstructing view), thunder and lightning (the screen will flash and then dark clouds will obstruct your view), and an eclipse (will make the board dark with your cursor serving as the only light source).
- In addition to the bonus multiplier and bonus themes, you'll get a time bonus based on how quickly you were able to finish the board.
- The Bonus boards act similarly to Arcade Mode; the major difference is that all the first/last letters will be highlighted on the board. Time does not last long, so find as many words as you can.
- Once a word's bomb explodes, it will be locked for a brief moment, meaning that if you find the word while it is locked, it won't count. Once it is unlocked, you can then "find" the word.
Since Survival Mode does become very difficult near the end, there are a couple of ways to help you find words without letting time run out:
- Pausing the game will cover most of the board, but the word bank and some of the board will be visible.
- Take a picture of the board, pause the game, then find the words using the photograph first. This way, you can focus on finding non-bomb words or bonus words without sacrificing time (this is what I did using an iPhone to mark the words I found with the markup option in Photos).
- There are (probably) websites online that can let you fill in a word search grid with letters. It will display all possible words that can be found. I personally did not use any outside websites during my playthrough, so I don't have any to recommend.
The first achievement we'll do requires you to disarm a bomb within 5 seconds. This is best done on the first stage, as it will be the smallest and easiest one. As soon as the bombs appear, find one of those words within 5 seconds, and you'll get:
Unlocked by 4,297 tracked gamers (75% - TA Ratio = 1.15)
Now, find 5 more bomb words in-a-row (so 6 in a row overall) without letting any of them explode to unlock:
Unlocked by 4,030 tracked gamers (71% - TA Ratio = 1.18)
Now that we have those two miscellaneous achievements out of the way, your main focus will be on gaining 4,000 points before you finish Survival Mode. Just make sure you find all the regular words before the bomb words to get the most points because once you get the bomb words, the level will end.
One efficient method to do this is to use a camera to take a picture of the board, then pause the game and find all the words on the picture, that way you don't have to worry about the timer running out. If you are able to find bonus words and non-bomb words as well as utilize the bonus multipliers and themes, you will easily unlock this before you reach the end of Stage 8;
Unlocked by 2,607 tracked gamers (46% - TA Ratio = 1.47)
Once you have disarmed every bomb and cleared Stage 8, you'll unlock:
Unlocked by 1,781 tracked gamers (31% - TA Ratio = 1.78)
There are two types of multiplayer modes we'll be playing: Local and Online Ranked.
Grab a second controller and simply let your main account win a game to unlock:
Unlocked by 2,897 tracked gamers (51% - TA Ratio = 1.40)
Finally, you'll need 3 other players for the online achievements. You'll need to win 5 games in-a-row. This is easily boostable (and you can set up a boosting session here on TrueAchievements), but here is something to keep in mind to help make the process go by faster:
- In this mode, spelling a wrong word will deduct points. Therefore other players can help find words to speed up the games as long as you make sure the designated losing players deduct their own points if they get too many points.
- Alternatively, if everyone can communicate, all players can call out the locations of words for the winning player to find.
After completing your first game, you'll unlock:
Unlocked by 1,189 tracked gamers (21% - TA Ratio = 2.18)
After winning 3 games in-a-row, you'll unlock:
Unlocked by 860 tracked gamers (15% - TA Ratio = 2.57)
Lastly, after winning 5 games in-a-row, you'll unlock:
Unlocked by 830 tracked gamers (15% - TA Ratio = 2.62)
Congratulations! You have completed Word Puzzle and are 200G richer.
Find anything you think is wrong with this walkthrough? Help us fix it by posting in its Walkthrough Thread
This walkthrough is the property of TrueAchievements.com. This walkthrough and any content included may not be reproduced without written permission. TrueAchievements.com and its users have no affiliation with any of this game's creators or copyright holders and any trademarks used herein belong to their respective owners.